intermittent scalding water from electric water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

provlima

Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon State Select electric water heater that is 4 years old.
Recently it started putting intermittently putting out out scalding hot water (160 degrees). This problem occurs about once a month.

I shut off the breakers and looked at the top and bottom thermostat and set both to the lowest temperature. It worked okay for two weeks,
but the scalding water problem started again.

I then tested both thermostats with a multimeter which indicated a zero reading on both.

I then tested both heating anodes with a multimeter and they both tested fine.

Any other suggestions on what the problem may be? Thanks for you help

The only thing that could cause this that I can think of is the thermostat.

I am assuming since you posted a temperature that you have measured this with a thermometer?

The reason I ask is that if you are getting hotter than normal water out of a particular plumbing fixture, which appears too hot to you, it might be the fixture itself, instead of the water heater. But if you are actually getting 160 degree water out of the system, the problem is definitely in the water heater.

I'm scratching my head on this one! I don't have to tell you this is extremely dangerous, and as much as you are going to dislike my answer, I personally would change out that water heater, and fast.

Make sure both thermostats are resting in contact with the tank. Sometimes they will get sprung out of position.
If they look OK, replace them both. (Both thermostats)

Back