Intermittent flushing problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrey

Reaction score
Several years ago I bought a dual flush kit to convert my standard toilet. For the longest time, it worked perfectly fine. However, in the last year the toilet has developed an intermittent problem whereby sometimes it will flush properly and other times it won't (usually "Number 2"). The problem seems to be getting progressively worse. I did notice that the water level in the tank was not coming up to the same level that it did when the original guts were installed. So, I've had to take the fill valve out twice now to adjust it higher such that the water level now reaches the previous water line. Still, the toilet's not flushing properly. Now, I don't have soft water and the water in my town is pretty hard. I'm wondering if calcium and lime have built up to the point that it's causing the fill valve to not work properly? The only other thing I can think to do is tweak the adjustment screw on the valve arm. Failing that, I don't know what else I can do or try to fix the issue without replacing the kit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Toilet Innards.jpg
    Toilet Innards.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
If you are sure the drain isn't partially clogged then: As toilets age, the trapway builds up minerals and flush increasingly poorly.
No great solutions to that except replacing.

Put a couple gallons of water in a bucket and pour it really fast into the bowl.

If it flushes that tells you it’s a water delivery problem.

If you are sure the drain isn't partially clogged then: As toilets age, the trapway builds up minerals and flush increasingly poorly.
No great solutions to that except replacing.
I snaked the drain and there was no resistance. I got thinking about it more after my original post. I think it's more likely that the FLUSH valve (not the fill valve) isn't working properly anymore due to mineral buildup. I'm going to try replacing the guts first before resorting to replacing the toilet itself. I was able to find the exact same kit still being sold. So, I can swap out the flush valve without having to remove the tank from the base. I would just be using the existing flush valve base - pop the old one off and put the new one on - done. If after replacing the kit it still doesn't flush properly then I'll know that the problem is most likely the trapway and have to replace the whole toilet. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I'm prepared for that eventuality.

I’ve seen the floats get waterlogged and the water level need to be adjusted so maybe replace as much as you can

Latest posts

Back