Insulating for noise reduction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I pulled down the drywall ceiling and found quite a network of pipes running through the ceiling. There are strips of aluminum foil and insulation that seems completely worthless. I think they are to absorb sound but there are huge gaps on all sides and don't run the full length. I think I would like to squirt foam insulation all over. I know it will get wrecked if they have to work on those pipes, but that's true of any solution. Right now, it's noisy as heck when the upstairs tenant uses the bathroom. Any thoughts?

Here are some ceiling pics (I can't get them to upload, here are web addresses):
dealsinohio.com/Ceiling1.jpg
dealsinohio.com/Ceiling2.jpg

Last edited:
What do plumbers recommend to noise reduction? The upstairs tub is right above mine and it's noisy when used.

Just use some pink fiberglass insulation to fill the void. That will reduce the noise somewhat.

If you do use foam (like great Stuff) , please wear latex gloves (double up) and a long sleeve shirt. I managed to get that foam on my hands and had to use sand paper to remove it.

Latest posts

Back