Insulating 5/8 condensate pump discharge pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ido

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks in advance for your help here.
My condensate pipe has a 5/8 (I think) plastic/ PVC pipe that discharges the water outside.
unfortunately, a small section of this flexible little pipe is completely exposed outside my house. that section (few inches) freezes almost every day and I have to thaw it to let the water run and stop the pump from working endlessly (without discharging any water..)
What are my options?
- insulate this small section outside (how? please advise about materials etc.) I tried wrapping with different layers of foam but didn't help..
- Replace the entire length of the pipe with a pre-insulated one (please advise on the best pipe to use for that size/ purpose)
note that there is some wiggle room in the wall (where the pipe goes through from the basement outside) but not a lot, so an insulated pipe can't be much thicker..
- get one of those electric pipe warmers (but are they just for metal? can they be used outdoors?)
- any other, better option?

Thanks a lot and stay warm!
Ido

There is fiberglass insulation with plastic covering over it could you use the plastic covering they use on the line sets outside the houses?????? Or just build an insulated box over it that's removable

Hi Geofd, I'm sorry but can you be more specific..? Are you recommending that I'd use some product? I don't know any coverings, insulation boxes etc. can you point me to specific products that could help?
Thanks.

Hi Geofd, I'm sorry but can you be more specific..? Are you recommending that I'd use some product? I don't know any coverings, insulation boxes etc. can you point me to specific products that could help?
Thanks.
Check the last posting that's probably quickest and easiest

yes that's what I meant when I wrote "electric pipe warmers" hahaa - pardon my terminology.
I had a few concerns:
1. I was concerned about leaving this plugged in and possibly having it on for many days with freezing temperatures. not a problem?
2. there's a thermostat? It needs to be outside obviously. but that's too far from the power source..
3. what do I do with a lot of extra heat tape at the end of the line?

Thanks

yes that's what I meant when I wrote "electric pipe warmers" hahaa - pardon my terminology.
I had a few concerns:
1. I was concerned about leaving this plugged in and possibly having it on for many days with freezing temperatures. not a problem?
2. there's a thermostat? It needs to be outside obviously. but that's too far from the power source..
3. what do I do with a lot of extra heat tape at the end of the line?

Thanks

I basically live in Florida. I can’t help ya. ✌️. It was just an idea, I’ve never used the stuff.

Back