Inspector failed my DIY job... NEED HELP/ ADVICE

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
learn how to read a tape. in 1/16th's you do not need to dry fit. :)

the most mistakes i have seen are due to crooked cuts. you measured correctly, but instead of a chop saw. use a hand saw and got a crooked cut

LOL believe it or not. I have heard measurements given that sounded like this

"give me a piece 14 1/2" on the long side" LOL, he knows its gonna be crooked, is giving the max he will accept

I hate it when your pipe decides to back out of the fitting. get back in there!!!!!!!
lot of DIY do not know, when you push pvc into the fitting, turn it.get the air out

Last edited:
LOL. More like a year and 4 months. This was from 2013. :p

But sometimes threads show up in searches and the date isn't evident. I found the additional responses useful though-- even if the original poster never sees them. So, no harm done. I think the info is useful enough that subsequent viewers will find it helpful.

:eek: Definitely entertaining. OP only replied once and ran for hills or to another forum where they might tell him what he wanted to hear. One good thing is he's getting it inspected. I wonder how many times that happened before he got it right or gave up

Reactions: SHR
Steve, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of not really dry fitting so much as laying the pipes out and getting a general idea of how I want it to come together and where things will be so I can visualize the final layout in 3D form. Nothing too exact, just to figure out a ballpark estimate of how things will go together and if there might be any obstructions and such. I hope that makes sense.

Frodo, funny you should mention that. I have a site bookmarked that is a guide on how to read measuring tapes in case I forget. I look at it from time to time to remind myself and then practice looking at my measuring tape.

Mr_David, I'm pretty sure the guy was not happy with the answers he got. I kind of felt sorry for him, but he really really should have done more research before even attempting to do his own plumbing.

Frodo, yeah, that would have been time to pull up a chair and eat some popcorn. I've only met one inspector-- the guy who inspected the septic tank installation. He was pretty chill about everything. Nice guy. When something wasn't done right he explained what was done wrong and what the guy needed to do to make it right. He said that technically he wasn't supposed to tell people exactly what to do, but he wanted to help out to make sure the installation was completed.

Frodo, funny you should mention that. I have a site bookmarked that is a guide on how to read measuring tapes in case I forget. I look at it from time to time to remind myself and then practice looking at my measuring tape.

Do you eat pie? do you like money ?

think 1'' on your tape as a apple pie

whole pie= 1''

1/2 pie= 1/2''

half of a half is a quarter== 1/4''

half of the quarter is an argument

with your brother 1/8

half of a 1/8 of a pie is a knock down fight 1/16

or look at it like money
3/4 is 75 cent
1/2 is 50 cent do you see how everything is just divided by half
1/4 is 25 cent
1/8 is 12.5 cent
1/16 is 6.25 cent
1/ 32 is 3.1 cent
1/64 is 1.5 cent

lol.

i could not read a tape till i had to read one every day

Thanks, Frodo. Part of my problem is being able to see the little lines. I have to have font size 16 on my computer. I need to update the prescription for my glasses. LOL.

I'm actually not too bad with fractions, although I have to try to remember where things like 5/8 would fall on the measuring tape. I know if I count it out, I could find it. I might need a magnifying glass though. LOL.

Heh. I have size 16 font and 110 magnification as well.

I had to remind myself that 1/4 is 2/8 so I remember that 3/8 is larger and 1/2 is 4/8 so that is larger than 3/8. I really should practice math problems more often so I can keep my brain fresh.

So I agree the DIY'r totally screwed it up, reminds me how I've gotten myself into scenarios like this playing in a trade that I'm not familiar with.

However I'm surprised as much criticsm everyone gave and the guy a hard time while I see people not even knowing how to read a tape!! I'd like to see your DIY project. LOL.

OMG, please stop damaging your home. How can you sister a joist up when there is nothing to sister to? You are missing a joist since you decided to cut half way into it.

Just hire a pro and stop wasting time and money.

pcride, since I'm the one who doesn't remember how to read the tape, I'll say that I would NEVER attempt to do something like this without first learning as much as I could about the process and probably still hire a professional for the job. (Don't worry, I'm not offended).

That said, my first self-leveling flooring job didn't work out so well. LOL. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try again. The custom desk build I helped with went great. The replacing of the rotted floor went ok. The installing the garbage disposal and fixing the plumbing wasn't so bad.... But I have more things to work on. Namely fixing the botched self-leveling.

I do feel bad for this guy for screwing up so badly, but, as you can see, it was such a major major screwup that I can't help but insert picard facepalm. Its one of the reasons why I want to really research before I do anything major.

Matt, good way to think about it. It makes it easier to visualize things that way. I think I'm going to print out the guide just for reference if I find myself forgetting.

Last edited:
Back