Inspecting PEX for potential problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I belive your taking about a final inspection. Rough inspection happens before drywall.

Pipe gets hit fairly regularly. I usually leave the test pressure on but the supply off during drywall. If they hit something they'll/you'll know fairly soon, but it won't ruin anything.

You don't need a pressure test when the fixtures are on you just turn the water on and that's the test. You cap all of the water piping and test it before the drywall goes up.

Drainage is done by filling the piping to 10ft above the highest connected joint. That one is not commonly done on residential.

Thank you all for your comments and help.

The plumbing fixtures won't be installed until long after drywall is up, so it seems that the pressure test has to happen at the end of construction, after all of the pipe is concealed.

If that's the case, then wouldn't any required repair be really difficult, both in finding the issue and ripping open walls to fix it?

For you good plumbers, when installing PEX, how often do you find something that needs fixing with a pressure test?
Not typically, pressure tests are done during rough in.

Before the drywall is installed I do a hydrostatic test to 80psi on pex.

Inspector looks at the gauge before inspection and then when inspection is complete.

I’ve never had a crimp leak unless the fitting was defective.

I cut mistakes out rather than test them.....If it’s questionable then I cut it out. 99% isn’t good enough, 100% or get ready to call your insurance company.

I do a lot of work, attention to detail is a must.

Latest posts

Back