Inquiry about backflow valve and compartment box

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcabral

Reaction score
I live in a home that is almost three years old. There is a backflow valve installed in the basement floor. We have been noticing that the compartment around the valve get filled with water periodically. More so obviously on a day when there is a lot of rain. The water never seems to pass a certain point (marked with the orange arrow on the picture) in the box but we are obviously concerned that this is going to overflow into our basement. It is definitely ground water that is in there. Can someone please tell me if this is a normal occurrence, or if it is something we should be concerned about. And if it is abnormal, what would be the method used to fix it?

2016-04-18 08.54.22.jpg

It probably has a light stopage, I would pull the cap and cable it. Obviously pull out the flapper if it's in the way.

It is definitely ground water around it... not sewage.

If it's ground water and only occurs when it is raining you may need to install a sump pump to extract the ground water.

Latest posts

Back