Inlet to outlet drop?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bart53

Reaction score
My son has a septic tank that has been used as a holding take before he bought the house and he no longer wants to have to pump it when full.We added a weeper bed to it and 4 inch baffles in the tank.I checked the amount of drop from the inlet to the outlet holes and it shows a drop of 1 and a half inches.Is that enough drop for the tank to work properly?My concern is if there was a steady flow of water say from a shower or a tub draining would the tank maintain that 1 and a half inch drop and if not could crap say floating at the top of the baffle float back into the inlet pipe and maybe stay there once the water stops draining?Sure hope the 1 and a half will be efficient enough.I await an experts reply and keep my fingers crossed.....bart53

To answer your question NO.
The drop needs to be 4".
Also single compartment tanks do not make good septic tanks.
My guess is you did not contact the health dept.
The reason your son probably had a holding tank is because the soil would not perc.
You will probably have to install a sandmound or a drip system for it to work properly.

It is not a single compartment tank.It has a centre wall as a normal septic tank does that I know of.I did build the weeper bed above ground inbeded in sand.So your saying this tank will not work with the 1 1/2 inch drop period.....Thanks for your quick reply.....bart53

Latest posts

Back