Inconsistent hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cricket

Reaction score
Hi All

I have oil heat with a steam sys (Peerless boiler). My hot water seems to be very irregular. Sometimes I can take a 20 min hot shower and sometimes the water never reaches "hot" temps.

Its a new house (for me) and I don't have much knowledge of oil/steam heating. I do not have a separate water heater so all heated water comes through boiler

Does the system calling on heat take away from hot shower water?

Thanks
Jim

Hi All

I have oil heat with a steam sys (Peerless boiler). My hot water seems to be very irregular. Sometimes I can take a 20 min hot shower and sometimes the water never reaches "hot" temps.

Its a new house (for me) and I don't have much knowledge of oil/steam heating. I do not have a separate water heater so all heated water comes through boiler

Does the system calling on heat take away from hot shower water?

Thanks
Jim
post a picture o your system.

Here's some pics of my system

Attachments

• 20220212_100203.jpg
    20220212_100203.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220212_100219.jpg
    20220212_100219.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220212_100243.jpg
    20220212_100243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220212_100311.jpg
    20220212_100311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
When was the last time you hade it serviced, are the any service tags on the boiler, is this just happening to the shower or all other fixtures

Last service tag was 2020. Any hot water usage (kitchen sink/shower/etc). Not only inconsistent with longevity of hot water but often when running shower/ tub...the water will run hot as set by dial but then temp will drop significantly where the shower dial is needed to be readjusted.

Thnx
Jim

There should be a mixing valve connected to your tankless heater , make note of we're it's set at then move the adjusting diail back and forth, it might be gummed up, alot of them have replacement parts, or you can use vinagar to clean

I am not seeing any sign of a water heater. The boiler control aquastat is attached to the plate where a tankless coil would be installed. There is no piping there. So what does provide your hot water?

All my life with a hot water heater. This newly bought house, with oil - steam heat, has me in the dark. I plead ignorance as my assumption, since I DO receive hot water to my faucets, is that the heating was taking place in the boiler. I can tell you there is NO hot water heater present as I spent good time looking for one the day after we moved in. So..to your question...thats a GOOD question then.

Jim

Install a stand alone water heater and keep living your life. 👍

I am not seeing any sign of a water heater. The boiler control aquastat is attached to the plate where a tankless coil would be installed. There is no piping there. So what does provide your hot water?
I took a better look around and I see a badge that says "tankless heater". Also there is a dial that says "anti scald" which leads me to better believe it is a tankless heater for personal use hot water. Ive attached a pic for reference.

Thnx
Jim

Attachments

• 16447681772191772608098735120670.jpg
    16447681772191772608098735120670.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I took a better look around and I see a badge that says "tankless heater". Also there is a dial that says "anti scald" which leads me to better believe it is a tankless heater for personal use hot water. Ive attached a pic for reference.

Thnx
Jim
That mixing valve is NON anti scald so you have to be very careful when adjusting or repairing that mixing valve.my advice is if the boiler hasn't been serviced in a couple of years, you should find a reputable oil Co, and get a contract, they clean your boiler once a year, they are obligated to you when you call for service issues, and there are parts that they will change for free, service contracts are 300.00 or so a year, oil price is locked in ,yes this is all more expensive than checked for cheapest oil
Prices but it's peice of mind

That mixing valve is NON anti scald so you have to be very careful when adjusting or repairing that mixing valve.my advice is if the boiler hasn't been serviced in a couple of years, you should find a reputable oil Co, and get a contract, they clean your boiler once a year, they are obligated to you when you call for service issues, and there are parts that they will change for free, service contracts are 300.00 or so a year, oil price is locked in ,yes this is all more expensive than checked for cheapest oil
Prices but it's peice of mind

Appreciate the advice. Well received.

-Jim

Back to the original post, you DO have a tankless coil in your boiler. You asked if a call for heat would take away from water heating, and the answer is no. The coil shows that it is rated for 8 GPM, which is plenty of hot water. That coil sits inside a small tank of water that is heated by the boiler. Whenever the boiler is running, it is heating that tank of water. IF the boiler is undersized, it is possible that on a very cold day the boiler could have a hard time maintaining temperature in the boiler, but I doubt that is the case here.
I doubt that it is the mixing valve. In my experience they usually just fail open or closed, and not intermittent.
Do you have any problems getting hot water at any of the sinks, or running out of hot water when filling a tub or the kitchen sink?
If it is only the shower, do you have only one shower? And does that shower have a single-handle shower valve? If so, it could be sticking cartridge or a sticking pressure balancing shuttlecock.

Back to the original post, you DO have a tankless coil in your boiler. You asked if a call for heat would take away from water heating, and the answer is no. The coil shows that it is rated for 8 GPM, which is plenty of hot water. That coil sits inside a small tank of water that is heated by the boiler. Whenever the boiler is running, it is heating that tank of water. IF the boiler is undersized, it is possible that on a very cold day the boiler could have a hard time maintaining temperature in the boiler, but I doubt that is the case here.
I doubt that it is the mixing valve. In my experience they usually just fail open or closed, and not intermittent.
Do you have any problems getting hot water at any of the sinks, or running out of hot water when filling a tub or the kitchen sink?
If it is only the shower, do you have only one shower? And does that shower have a single-handle shower valve? If so, it could be sticking cartridge or a sticking pressure balancing shuttlecock.
Thanks for the response. The inconsistent hot water isn't limited to shower only. It happens as well at the sink washing dishes. I set the water to desired heat, and often the temp will drop a good 10 degrees or more which I am then having to adjust the valve for more heat. Filling the tub for the kids, I'll set it nice and warm. With the tub filling, ill come back 5 min or so to find the tub is filling with cool/luke warm water. Other times, I have hot hot water.... Thats why I was questioning whether the call for hot water/steam was taking away from my personal use hot water supply. I was trying to see if the was a cause and effect I could identify to better understand the varying hot water I receive.

Before calling in a pro, I just wasn't sure if it was a simple issue as I lack experience with the oil, tankless, system.

Thnx
Jim

The water level for the boiler may be too low so the coil isn't completely submerged in the water.
the low water cut out would cut in . I would check if it only works when there steam is running , what if is is a warm day what make the boiler run to heat the domestic hot water .

Back