In panic, water pipes may be freezing. Need help asap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyFromTheNorth

Reaction score
I'm kind of freaking out here and didn't know where else to ask. I live on a lake and pump my water from that lake through a jet pump and a pressure tank (tank under myhouse, pressure pump in a 6 foot deep pumphouse sealed at the lakeshore). I've never had issues in winter before.

Last few days have been -30's or colder. I got up this morning and had a shower without incident but when I went to run the kichen sink the water began surging and bucking. Then the aspirator on the sink plugged with some rust chips (these sometimes come up the line but rarely). I pulled the aspirator off and the water was dark brown, very rust coloured and more chips came out. The pressure bounced a bit then came back, now it goes sometimes from clear to a yellowish brown colour. I'm worried something is freezing and maybe the pressure of me drawing water is breaking loose ice that is breaking off rust with it?? The only steel line I have is the footvalve line into the lake.

I checked my pressure tank, it fills to 50PSI then drops to about 48 and seems to sit there, I'd assume if I blew off my footvalve it would drop very fast (the water lines run down a decent hill from my house). I'm terrified of this freezing up, there are -no- plumbers where I live. There is no way to excavate these lines if they freeze through the frozen earth. If my water blows up I have -no- running water\toilets\sinks\etc till at least end of may.

What do I do? I'm scared running my water may aggravate whatever is going on, but on the same hand NOT running it may make it worse. Don't know what to do. Very worried

If you have water and are afraid that it is trying to freeze up, the best thing to do is keep the water running somewhere so it can't freeze. Once it does, I'm afraid your in for a long hard winter.

The rust and spitting could be from air which could mean the pump is struggling to get water through the suction line. If that's the case, it may be starting to freeze. Keeping the water running from the lake that should be above 32°F should keep the pipes warm.

nothing personal but "lake water" your shower is that? do you drink it? breid............:D

Back