In-Home Domestic Water Pump Suggestions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
Trying to help my brother out here. He lives in a home in New Mexico, with a peculiar water system to say the least. The community has an above ground tank (on his property but down a hill). That's the water source. There is a pump that pumps from the tank (source) to smaller tanks located in the crawl space/basement of his home; holding tanks as it were. Float switches in the tank keep the tanks filled and the pump is working fine to keep the tanks filled. That pump is located in a pump house near the tank.

Problem is water pressure in the home sucks. From the inside tanks, there's another pump that basically turns on each time a faucet is turned on. It's a Grundfos MQ. That's factory set to cut in at 29 PSI or when the flow is greater than .3 GPM. It does not have, yet, any external pressure tank.

He's adding a 44 gallon Amtrol pressure tank now, and wondering if he'll need to change the pump to get better water pressure. Right now with that Grundfos there's a delay each time a faucet is turned on waiting for pressure to build up and pump to turn on; even when on, the pressure sucks.

Any recommendations for a better pump to work with the pressure tank? The dream of ANYONE with a pump/tank/well set up is to get as close to "city water" feel as possible. My friends did this with a great VFD well pump, but here there's no well...

The MQ type pump is the problem. The 44 gallon pressure tank will not help. The Dab Esybox thing is a VFD, but a VFD won't work with the MQ pump. VFD's can deliver strong constant "city like" pressure, but at a high cost. If you can afford the high cost of a VFD and frequent replacements, and don't mind being out of water when they give problems, a VFD is what you want. If you want something that will deliver even stronger constant pressure, doesn't cost much, and will outlast several VFD's, a Cycle Stop Valve is what you want. But the CSV also will not work with the MQ type pump. Get a regular and long lasting jet pump like a Goulds J5SH or a J15S and control is with a PK1A constant pressure kit from Cycle Stop Valves. I would use a 10 gallon size pressure tank with the PK1A kit if you want 60 PSI constant from the CSV using a 50/70 pressure switch. Not only will you no longer even need soap in the showers, but you will forget you even have a water pump as the water will just come out of any faucet opened for many years to come. Here is a link to the reviews so you can see how several hundred other people feel who had the same problems you have. Reviews – Cycle Stop Valves, Inc

Here is a picture of where all those MQ pumps end up in a very short time.

MQ pumps in dumpster.JPG

The MQ type pump is the problem. The 44 gallon pressure tank will not help. The Dab Esybox thing is a VFD, but a VFD won't work with the MQ pump. VFD's can deliver strong constant "city like" pressure, but at a high cost. If you can afford the high cost of a VFD and frequent replacements, and don't mind being out of water when they give problems, a VFD is what you want. If you want something that will deliver even stronger constant pressure, doesn't cost much, and will outlast several VFD's, a Cycle Stop Valve is what you want. But the CSV also will not work with the MQ type pump. Get a regular and long lasting jet pump like a Goulds J5SH or a J15S and control is with a PK1A constant pressure kit from Cycle Stop Valves. I would use a 10 gallon size pressure tank with the PK1A kit if you want 60 PSI constant from the CSV using a 50/70 pressure switch. Not only will you no longer even need soap in the showers, but you will forget you even have a water pump as the water will just come out of any faucet opened for many years to come. Here is a link to the reviews so you can see how several hundred other people feel who had the same problems you have. Reviews – Cycle Stop Valves, Inc

Here is a picture of where all those MQ pumps end up in a very short time.

We have sold these as boosters on city water as well. Of all the things I have sold, I have not yet had to process a warranty on the Dab unit. The Grundfos, where I worked formerly, we stopped selling them because they were junk.

I know I am an old fart, but the shoes I am wearing are older than any Dab VFD. I have seen many brands of VFD's come and go aver the years. I am assuming they will last about as long as any VFD. That means an average of 4-5 years, because some will last 10-12 years while others will be short lived, as planned by the manufacturers. That maybe ok with some people who have money and never stay in one place very long anyway. As an old fart I am thankful I have pump systems that I have not had to touch for 30-40 years.

What VFD's do, delivering constant pressure is a good thing. There are just better, easier, less expensive, and longer lasting ways to get constant pressure. Of course that is what makes a Cycle Stop Valve a disruptive product to the pump industry. Manufacturers spend so much advertising VFD's as "smartboxes" and other things because VFD's make them so much money, which does not go hand in hand with lasting a long time or being a good deal for the end user.

Back