I need to resolve conflicting advice about how to deal with a tiny leak!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue with a "repair" like this that you must farm out if you want it done "correctly" and are unable to do it yourself is the cost of the repair. I get it that plumbers have a skill many people do not but I know from experience if I were to call a plumber in my area for that repair I would be looking at $500-$1000. Which IMO is too much. That sort of repair worst case is maybe $150. Plumbers have priced themselves out of many people's market. Obviously some are still willing to pay their inflated rates since plumbers are still asking for them. What the market will bear I suppose. In any case, the cost is what it is but I agree if a tube of JB Weld will do it, then why not? $500 vs $5? Even if it has to be re-applied every couple years (which I actually don't think it will) it is still better than being ripped off.

What you are saying is that, in your opinion
the cost of that job to the customer is $150.00

lets use your numbers,
a plumber is an hourly employee, lets just say for this job. your plumbers wage is $20.00 an hour
A helper's wage for this job is $10.00 [ liberals will scream it is not $15.00]

that job will take a minimum of 3 hours to complete. that is also the low side [trying to be fair]

so. we have $90.00 for labor.
The pipe will cost around $60.00

the labor and the material, on the low,with out a mark up has busted your budget
no profit made,

I have kids in college, and expenses myself

you really need to rethink your thinking about plmbers pricing them selves out of work

What you are saying is that, in your opinion
the cost of that job to the customer is $150.00

lets use your numbers,
a plumber is an hourly employee, lets just say for this job. your plumbers wage is $20.00 an hour
A helper's wage for this job is $10.00 [ liberals will scream it is not $15.00]

that job will take a minimum of 3 hours to complete. that is also the low side [trying to be fair]

so. we have $90.00 for labor.
The pipe will cost around $60.00

the labor and the material, on the low,with out a mark up has busted your budget
no profit made,

I have kids in college, and expenses myself

you really need to rethink your thinking about plmbers pricing them selves out of work

This is kind of my point there is a magnitude of difference between having it done "correctly" and using an off the shelf product. $150 perhaps is too low based on your assessment of repair needs - $200 I guess would do it then? Don't get me wrong I am all about paying an "appropriate" amount for a repair. If I got an estimate for $200 for this I would probably let the plumber do it. However, I would expect that to be estimated at at least $500 but probably more like $1000 and maybe even more around here based on some of the quotes I have gotten for other plumbing jobs. This is why I don't even call plumbers anymore I do everything myself.

Latest posts

Back