I need a little education.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedglover

Reaction score
I recently purchased some land (one acre) that I will slowly be developing. I want to build a workshop on the back part of the property and 5 years later build a house towards the front. I will require a well and septic. I was thinking that if I put a septic in near the future house pad that a gravity feed system would work, but that would mean the workshop would be about 150 feet away from the septic. My questions are can I have a pump system from the workshop to septic instead of gravity fed? What would be the best place to put the septic so that it is functional for the future house? How many feet does my well need to be from my septic? Any help would be appreciated... It's all new to me.

Distance between well and septic in my area is (I believe, don't quote me, I haven't looked at that code in a couple of years) 75 feet.

In this area, the local health department is the big gorilla with such issues, so maybe you can check with them.

I think that you are on the right track. Put the tank and drainfield close to the future house, and if necessary, pump the waste from the workshop to that.

phishfood thanks for replying -
I'm trying to learn what questions to ask. Like SETBACK - I Live outside of city limits and don't have any building setbacks (for the building itself). What would be an appropriate pump to pump 150-200 feet?

Distance is a concern, but head ( height that the pump needs to lift) is a much bigger concern. The specifics of this starts to get out of my area of experience, so I won't offer possibly incorrect advice. We do have a couple of members who are a little more in tune with this area, hopefully they will drop in and offer comments.

tedglover said:
phishfood thanks for replying -
I'm trying to learn what questions to ask. Like SETBACK - I Live outside of city limits and don't have any building setbacks (for the building itself). What would be an appropriate pump to pump 150-200 feet?

First off let me start off by saying there are a few times in your life when you don't want to skip corners and this would be one of those. You came to the right place though. Definitely agree with phish and regarding the placement of the septic you have the right idea. House is definitely the best choice for nothing more than the fact you will most likely use a lot less water in the shop so the pump won't cycle as many times preserving its life a little. I would definitely avoid big box stores I.e. lowes and Home Depot in this category as well. Go to a plumbing supply near you or see if a plumber can order you one. I just ran a lift station a couple of weeks ago and the attached photo is what I used. Liberty makes a wonderful packaged unit with a 2" outlet and since is forced fall really isn't that critical of an issue. If I don't give you any valuable advice in this post but this always remember to install a check valve on your 2" discharge pipe for ease of operation and ease of servicing. Other than that have fun always great to learn and best of all good luck. Oh one more thing I would suggest schedule 40 PVC over schedule 20 and pressure couplings instead of DMV couplings. They are a little higher but the added piece of mind is worth it. If you haven't seen either pick one of each up and hold them side by side you'll see what I mean.

image-1593266483.jpg

reedplumber said:
First off let me start off by saying there are a few times in your life when you don't want to skip corners and this would be one of those. You came to the right place though. Definitely agree with phish and regarding the placement of the septic you have the right idea. House is definitely the best choice for nothing more than the fact you will most likely use a lot less water in the shop so the pump won't cycle as many times preserving its life a little. I would definitely avoid big box stores I.e. lowes and Home Depot in this category as well. Go to a plumbing supply near you or see if a plumber can order you one. I just ran a lift station a couple of weeks ago and the attached photo is what I used. Liberty makes a wonderful packaged unit with a 2" outlet and since is forced fall really isn't that critical of an issue. If I don't give you any valuable advice in this post but this always remember to install a check valve on your 2" discharge pipe for ease of operation and ease of servicing. Other than that have fun always great to learn and best of all good luck. Oh one more thing I would suggest schedule 40 PVC over schedule 20 and pressure couplings instead of DMV couplings. They are a little higher but the added piece of mind is worth it. If you haven't seen either pick one of each up and hold them side by side you'll see what I mean.

Dwv couplings sorry

Back