I guess there's cat litter in the toilet - creating a partial plug?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentennialDude

Reaction score
So, we got back from the holidays to find that the 'cat-sitter/house-sitter' unknowingly tried to flush 'scoopable cat litter' (that clumping crap) down the toilet in the downstairs bathroom... Apparently (since she does not have cats herself) she was not aware that:
1.) You NEVER put litter of any amount - even the little bit that adheres to feces - and try to flush it down the toilet .... (surprisingly , I guess this had to be explained 'better' ...)
and then:
2.) NEVER, NEVER , NEVER ever attempt this with any amount of clumping cat litter to ANY degree whatsoever... (again, THIS had to be explained..?)
I mean, damn, people... I'm pretty certain my wife explained this all to her when she showed her where the cat litter was, as well as where it was supposed to be disposed of... And what the H*** happened with the standard old clay stuff we ALWAYS use rather than that damnable clumping crap ...? My God there is still a 25 lb bag of the dustless clay stuff on the back porch ... right where we showed her ... in the event she had to change the litter (... but over a course of just three or four days, why would that be necessary..?) .. And even so, WHY did she then go buy the damned scoopable stuff, in any event ...(?)
So... today we pulled the toilet and did "the hose trick", thinking it might be an obstruction in the 18" section of the drain line branch, but even after the family member (who is a plumber-type for Roto-Rooter) came and blade-cleaned that 18" long branch off the main sanitary drain, this old American Standard 'high-flush' toilet is still very 'slow', and it certainly was NOT working like this just prior to our "Helpful-Hannah" baby-sitting the cats.
FYI: We chose to replace this old toilet in our 84 year-old house some number of years ago, and at the time I specifically obtained a 'high flush rate' (what are these old American Standards'..? Like < 2.3 GPF..?) since it IS downstairs in the basement and this was most probably necessary, even if it is now connected to our 4-year old, "brand new" sewer line that extends over 150 ft. out to the sewer line in the street (BTW: $39,879 to do that 5" line @ 160 ft. just 4 years ago). So, at the time my thought was this old 'standard flush' from the local "Re-Store" was just the ticket since, in essence, this was the type that has been in this basement for probably over 50 years when the drain was 3 ft. sections of red clay tile... (Oh, BTW: the new line we did 4 years ago? It's has a "100-year warranty" from ARS/Rescue Rooter and is pretty much "all downhill" from the house in the center of the block to the newly replaced (and truly massively HUGE) sewer line under the center of the street (...now THAT was something to see the city install, lemme tell ya. Never saw anything like that before ...).
Of note: None of the other toilets or drains are in any way 'slow' except for this toilet in the basement which now flushes as if there is some form of obstruction within the toilet itself, so I have to surmise the clumping crap is deposited inside the convoluted drain in this toilet, so...
My question: is there any means to clean this crap out of there, or do I just go buy another 'high-flush-rate' toilet and dispose of this one..? I even thought about pouring a dilute solution of Muriatic acid into the otherwise emptied toilet drain throat - and waiting like 2-3 minutes and then flush the hail out of it (knowing that Muriatic acid will most probably 'scar' the inside drain surfaces of the toilet if it stands too long), but I thought that MAYBE, if I was cautious and acknowledging of this fact, and did this a couple of times with a mind that flushing it with buckets and buckets of water, it MIGHT clear this to a 'better point' ...(?) Or am I fooling myself again..?
Oh, and another note: what brings me to surmise it is clumping litter deposited along the sides or 'valleys' of the drain from the bowl, is that, if I simply place a plunger in the bowl of the toilet as I flush it ... but not actually "plunge" it ... It flushes like 'normal'... I figure that the displacement of water by the presence of the plunger 'bell' then makes the water level rise during the flush and (in my mind's eye) allows a 'more normal' flush to occur...
But again... I'm probably just fooling myself once again...
DAMN..!!! I knew we should NOT have gone out of town, let alone ask "Helpful-Hannah" to 'cat-sit'... DAMMIT!

Last edited:
Before you play with dangerous and damaging chemicals do what @Geofd suggested and use good closet auger like a Ridgid and ream the “litteral crap” out of the toilet (Pun intended) If that doesn’t fix it I would replace the toilet.

Ugh. Some people have no common sense! Flushing clumping litter? WTF? I know she meant well, but it sounds like she did not listen and is not that bright.

Would running a hose through the toilet trapway and blasting the inside with water help clear things out (while the toilet is removed)?

Those chemicals are not good to put in toilets (or in plumbing in general). They can lead to chemical burns down the road and can damage pipes over time. They also aren't that effective.

So some sort of auger is what you need to clear it out. You might try toilet auger and a hose with decent water pressure to spray it out in case the toilet trapway itself has a clog.

Worst case scenario, a strong flushing toilet with 1,000 MaP score like a Toto Entrada is not that expensive. Higher end is Toto Drake.

Chemical cleaners will be useless for cat litter. Best thing is to manually clean it out with an auger like previously suggested

I will add that the clumping litter crap really likes to stick to stuff both when dry and wet. I use it for my cats and I sometimes have to spray the litterboxes off with an outside hose with some pressure and then scrub them down. I use plastic scrapers to clear some of the gunk off and then wipe them down with lysol wipes. That isn't exactly possible with a toilet trapway, but if the trapway is glazed it might have things come off easier inside. Camera down the trapway will let you know how bad the clog is in there and if anything is clinging inside.

I appreciate all the input from y'all, and came back to fill you in on what we've now tried to this point...
Geofd suggested what I discussed (almost exactly) with the family member that works for Roto-Rooter, so he said he'd come back to try it, and this morning he brought ALL the tools he carries in his truck and we pulled it once again and laid it on its side, and proceeded to "ream the living crap outta it" (yeah - no comment there...). We did seem to get a fair-ish amount of some of this out, but it still acts as if we did not get it all - slower than 'usual' still.
But he also convinced me that the whole Muriatic acid concept was not a REAL consideration in any event. Saying: "...it's one of my daylight nightmares..." and said he has in the past refused to do any additional work for those sites where he's encountered any acid being used to "clear" a drain. "It just is not worth the risk.. Not to me, it isn't ... " were his actual words, so - just never mind that, I suppose.
If it weren't for the pretty small diameter of the toilet trap convolutions, I suppose it might be possible to use a "physical means" of cleaning it out, but the eventual outcome of yesterday's 'adventures', as well as this morning's efforts, has pretty much made the decision for me. The cost of another 'high-flush-rate' toilet seems to be a LOT easier to accommodate than any further effort on this...
Well, in real honesty, this more fits MY personal preferences since, from my limited experiences with these things, I had decided that eventually I'd prefer to replace every toilet in the house with Kohler toilets, and depending on location, use either the Wellworth model or Highline Classic, since both are available (special order) in either 1.28 or 1.6 GPF, but I just called and there's one of the 1.6 GPF units is 'in stock' over at Home Depot for $357 right now. ("refused special order" I guess.. much to my benefit )
So far, I've done this 'replacement thing' with three of the bathrooms and there's only this basement installation and the one in my wife's 'home office' on the rear of the garage, so... Works for me...
Of course, my over-riding concern, here, is sufficient water volume since it is 160 foot away from the city sewer line, and which becomes a bit more of a consideration with this basement toilet. Not certain a 1.28 GPF units would have sufficient flow because in a basement where there would be limited 'gravity flow' involved, I could be 'asking for trouble'.. So, I'm off to make Home Depot a little richer as soon as I have another cup of coffee and a bite to eat.
What fun on a Sunday.. Yippee...

I kind of suspected the litter clumping litter would prove too difficult to clear fully. Sorry to hear that.
The volume of water in the tank isn't the only determining factor for the flush rating. Toilets with larger trapways can flush faster/more efficiently. I have an ADA height Eco Drake with a 3" opening for flushing. It flushes like a beast but does not flush. I also have the 1.6gpf Drake which has the same 3" opening. I see no difference in the speed/force of the flush between them. You may want to look for toilets with 2.5" to 3" openings in the tank for their flushing. You may also want to get one with the tower flush. However, you are unlikely to find the good quality ones in stock at HD or Lowes or other big box stores. What is the MaP rating of the Kohler units you're looking at? You'll want something with around 900 to 1k rating. I wouldn't go any lower than that.

The unit I just picked up at Home Depot, shows a "MAP" of ">=1000" according to https://www.map-testing'com (which I did not know even existed until you 'made' me look into it... Thanks a bunch..)
Also, Kohler does not publish "MAP ratings" I've just now found, but map-ratings.com shows it at this "greater-than 1000" rating, so... I'm sticking this hummer in RIGHT now..
On another note: D'you know how many wax rings I've just gone through in two days? HOLY CRAP..!! SHEESH...
(no pun intended, actually..)

Muratic acid is potent, potent stuff. I would suspect the reaction would crack the toilet anyway. But I wouldn’t want to find out.

Sulfuric acid would be a better option. But ultimately replacing the toilet is the only 100% guarentee.

Did Rooter snake the drain to make sure it’s not a partial block in the main line?

Matt, he said they snaked the main line and that it was all cleared but the toilet seems to be the clogging point.

Centennialdude, I didn't know about the MaP ratings until I was researching new toilets to replace our old ones from the 70s that barely flushed. I've stopped using wax rings and now use the waxless rings (I think called "better than wax"). It won't work in all situations though, but it works for us. Particularly since we know the toilet will have to be pulled again to fix the floor and install sheet vinyl. Sounds like you got a good toilet though. Hope the installation goes smoothly & hope it flushes well. Please update us once its in.

Uh, yep... All lines have been "fully snaked", and now, this has been done more than once in troubleshooting this.. Maybve I'll look for the 'waxless' "honey-rings" next time (which is what my late Dad called 'em...) But the new Kohler is installed and Oh yeah, baby... Uh it certainly seems to work very well now...
Thanks for everyone's input. And I'm gonna tell myself this is the last time I'll need to do something like this on a Sunday...
Yeah -right... You tell yourself that, dude...

If the sewer line is that long, you might want to double flush, after a big dump with lots of tp.
This has fixed my clogging problem at my 70’s condo, with some close neighbors who flush wipes.
An extra blast of water will move that chunk out from sitting right near the toilet.
And it will help break it up while it is still soft, so it can slide along easier, and not form a beaver dam.
Sorry for yucky descriptions 🤮

Happens to all of us, Matt. I'm surprised I caught it given my brain isn't working with this sinus infection. Speaking of which, time for my morning dose of antibiotics.

CentennialDude, I'm very glad to hear the new toilet is working well.

Back