I don’t get it. Slow drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Bruni

Reaction score
I took the overflow off the back of the tub thinking a stopper had come loose but the pipe is empty. Water doesn’t drain and I rented a auger as my next step. I pretty much let the whole length of the cable down and rodded everything out but water still stands in the pipe. Am I missing something super simple here? This is what it looks like

You need to try to get the cover off of that old drum trap and clean it out.

But it might not budge, or you might bust your pipes while twisting on it.

Penetrating oil applied several times over a few days might help.
And gives lots of small taps to the edge of the cover, to help the oil penetrate.

You will often have to just drill a series of holes through the drum trap cover and break it out of there.

Big box stores and plumbing supply houses sell new covers.

Meanwhile, how long was your snake?

A clog can easily be 30 feet away.
I have found some almost 50 feet away. Especially in a ranch house.

And a snake can poke right through a hair and soap clog, and when you pull the snake out the clog just closes up again.

Proper snaking involves lots of rotation, and moving forward and back, to break up clogs, not just to drill through them.

What did you mean by “thinking a stopper had come loose”?

That a tub stopper had gone down the drain?

Just wondering.

Does OP realize that the water level will not go below the invert(bottom) of the exit connection of the drum trap?
Even after it has been snaked?

try covering the drain in the tub and the over flow plate,with a wet rag....try a wet vac were the opening is but jeff is correct if you have no luck that cover has to come off,expose the inlet and outlet of the trap to see the condition of the piping ,its possible maybe....that you could cut on each side if the trap if the drain is in good condition
if you torque on the top of the trap without supporting the trap so it doesn't move you may cause issues anyway try the wet vac its the least evasive

Latest posts

Back