I can't find the sewer line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob42394

Reaction score
Ok, so here is the deal.

Owned this house for about 6 years.
Never had any problems with the sewer line backing up.
Had some people move in (its a rental) with a bunch of little kids.
Within a couple of weeks the toilet was backing up.
Everything else in the house was draining properly.
We could not find a clean out anywhere so, we got a snake with the blade on it and took it on top of the roof and ran it down the vent pipe.
The toilet flushed perfect and then a couple of weeks later the guy said it was backing up again. I think it is those kids putting too much paper and possibly other things down it like paper towels when they run out of toilet paper. Anyway, we have not been able to find a clean out nor the sewer line itself. In getting under the house we really can't tell where it runs.

Any and all advice on this situation would be much appreciated. The people in it have moved out now and I need to fix the problem and get it rerented.

If you can't hear the snake under ground when the line is being snaked from the roof. Then you need a plumber with a snake with what we call a mouse attached to it. It sends a single that allows him to locate line.

I really cant tell with out a picture of he house and knowing where the bathrooms are

rule of thumb,,,but not always'

line up on the toilet..the back toilet, 2015-12-21_1656.jpg

with imaginary line. thats where it will be

if that aint it, call a plumber with correct locator equipment

PUT IN A CLEAN OUT

Last edited:
Secondary advice. Have a proper lease written up that has your local applicable Landlord/Tenant laws relating to abuse of the rented property. In most states, landlords are solely responsible for the break down of the structure, HVAC, electrical and plumbing as it pertains to normal wear and tear. Some laws will allow the landlord to charge a reasonable fee back to the tenants for clogs or damaged fixtures related to abuse. The language must be clear and explained to the tenants. This doesn't mean that every time something breaks you can charge them. It just protects you from tenants who flush baby wipes, paper towels down the drains, break light fixtures, windows, etc. Keep in mind, though, that because you are the bona fide owner, services from outside contractors to fix a problem could require your authorization and guarantee of payment first. Putting it solely on a tenant to schedule and pay for a repair visit could create complications. You may be very handy, but with tenants the potential exists for some bizaar stuff to happen. Protect yourself and the tenants by having a good contract for both parties.
Just speaking from experience.

Latest posts

Back