Husband peeing on floor beside toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jana54

Reaction score
My husband has Alzheimer's and has lately started peeing on the floor on both sides of the toilet. I'm afraid the urine will seep into the floor under and around the toilet. Also, On one side is a wooden vanity, on the other side is a wall and baseboard, and on the other side is the bathtub. The only thing I can think of to protect these surfaces is caulk to keep the urine out. Does anyone have any suggestions about a particular type of caulk or any tips about how to do it? Thanks so much. I really need some help!

I'm sorry that your husband has Alzheimers. I know that can't be fun to clean up. This may seem like an odd solution, but perhaps you can tape some puppy training pads in the areas where he is peeing to catch the urine. Obviously, they will have to be changed out, but it might be easier than constantly having to mop it up and wipe down the baseboard & such.

As for caulk, I think Soonyb usually recommends polyseamseal by Loctite.

You might also want to see if you can find any support groups for family members of people with Alzheimers and see if there are any longer term solutions and to have people to talk to and help you prepare for other issues that may arise. I've had friends who became fulltime caretakers to loved ones with Alzheimers and I know it hasn't been easy for them. Having a support network can be very helpful.

I hope you find a solution that will help and I wish you the best of luck with your husband.

Diehard, I know I'm not the original poster, but I highly doubt that he would be able to remember to sit to pee and even if he did, he might still end up spraying out of the toilet and on to the floor.
It's not even a matter of appeasement, Alzheimer patients become confused easily and have difficulty remembering things. In milder cases, they will forget conversations they just had and will repeat questions or give the same information over and over without realizing it. In worse cases they don't recognize loved ones, have no idea where they are, and sometimes become afraid and/or violent.
I've known people with mild to moderate cases of it and it is not pretty.

How about installing a white toilet chair, which mounts on the existing toilet? It would orient him to where to stand, which may help with his aim. It helped my father tremendously.

Diehard, I know I'm not the original poster, but I highly doubt that he would be able to remember to sit to pee and even if he did, he might still end up spraying out of the toilet and on to the floor.
It's not even a matter of appeasement, Alzheimer patients become confused easily and have difficulty remembering things. In milder cases, they will forget conversations they just had and will repeat questions or give the same information over and over without realizing it. In worse cases they don't recognize loved ones, have no idea where they are, and sometimes become afraid and/or violent.
Thank you for your efforts. I am quite familiar with Alzheimer victims and the wide range of abilities and/or inabilities. Just throwing out some simple ideas, which may or may not be feasible.

Caulking the toilet is a good start. I use clear exterior caulking, I find its a stronger bond than the kitchen/bath stuff.

The pee pads are a good idea too. Unfortunately more work for what is surely an already busy time for you. I'm sorry you and your husband have to deal with this awful condition.

Search for urinal mats. These are used in public restrooms and come in several types with non-skid backing, antimicrobial, odor neutralizing, etc...
A lot better than pet pad taped to the floor.
As for the wood work, how about some plexiglass sheets cut to fit and stuck on with velcro?

What is the floor material? If tile, scrub the grout really good and apply some grout sealer.

I'm sorry that your husband has Alzheimers. I know that can't be fun to clean up. This may seem like an odd solution, but perhaps you can tape some puppy training pads in the areas where he is peeing to catch the urine. Obviously, they will have to be changed out, but it might be easier than constantly having to mop it up and wipe down the baseboard & such.

As for caulk, I think Soonyb usually recommends polyseamseal by Loctite.

You might also want to see if you can find any support groups for family members of people with Alzheimers and see if there are any longer term solutions and to have people to talk to and help you prepare for other issues that may arise. I've had friends who became fulltime caretakers to loved ones with Alzheimers and I know it hasn't been easy for them. Having a support network can be very helpful.

I hope you find a solution that will help and I wish you the best of luck with your husband.

Thanks so much for your kind and helpful response. Great idea about the puppy pads! I just ordered some of the caulk you recommended. I have been very fortunate to find a great group here. We help each other with solutions to our problems and also maybe "ventilate" a little. My dear husband was a wonderful person when he was well and deserves the best care I can provide. Thanks again!

Is there any chance of getting your husband to sit to pee?
I know a few guys that do, just to appease their wives.

Great idea, but he will only sit to poop. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You are absolutely right. He doesn't remember simple tasks like peeing in the toilet. He was always extremely cooperative before this illness. Thanks very much.

How about installing a white toilet chair, which mounts on the existing toilet? It would orient him to where to stand, which may help with his aim. It helped my father tremendously.

I hadn't thought of that. I will see how the other solutions work. If this problem doesn't get better, I will consider the chair. Thanks very much!

Search for urinal mats. These are used in public restrooms and come in several types with non-skid backing, antimicrobial, odor neutralizing, etc...
A lot better than pet pad taped to the floor.
As for the wood work, how about some plexiglass sheets cut to fit and stuck on with velcro?

What is the floor material? If tile, scrub the grout really good and apply some grout sealer.

I've never heard of urinal mats. I will look at them on Amazon and will check on the plexiglass sheets. Would that be from a place that does regular glass? I hadn't thought about the grout! Thanks very much for your time and ideas.

I just want to say, I am so sorry you're going through this. My dad had Alzheimers. If you need support, feel free to PM me anytime.

Thanks for your very kind response and offer. I think my husband is in the late middle stages right now. It's getting harder, and I know it will get a lot harder. Thanks again.

Caulking the toilet is a good start. I use clear exterior caulking, I find its a stronger bond than the kitchen/bath stuff.

The pee pads are a good idea too. Unfortunately more work for what is surely an already busy time for you. I'm sorry you and your husband have to deal with this awful condition.

Thanks for your caulking idea. The pee pads would be some work, but I think it would be easier than paper towels or a mop. You're right about a busy time. I have to watch him all the time. He likes to tear things up. :(

Wow! A bunch of great ideas here for me to consider. I will pass these along also to people in the same situation.

Can you recommend a particular type of caulking for this purpose? I see a lot of silicone, but I thought I read that silicone has its drawbacks.

Plexiglass is also called acrylic sheets. You can sometimes find it in big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Here is an example of a small sheet of it https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-1...ar-Non-Glare-Acrylic-Sheet-1X09242A/301138329
Since it is plastic, it is more likely you would find it at a place that sells plastics instead of glass.

I know that caregiving can be stressful at times. I'm a fulltime caregiver for my disabled mother. She can still walk and wash herself, but she can't really carry things or cook for herself. She's diabetic so sometimes she'll get low blood sugar in the middle of the night and wake me up at 2 or 3am to get her something.

Latest posts

Back