huge air bubbles coming from toilet...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakeasy2009

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a homeowner for a year now. My house passed the septic inspection fine but shortly after i moved in i noticed when i used the shower or the sink air bubbles came up out of the toilet, huge ones. Since i live alone and am not home much, i figured i would deal with when i had too. Now is that time.

Now the toilet flushes but backs up. it doesnt overflow, it just goes down real slow and i see little air bubbles coming up. I have to flush it 4 times to get it to all finally go down. From what i understand the vent coming out of the roof may be clogged so how do i got about fixing this?

Some more info -

ONLY the toilet is affected. All other drains in the house are fine.

Septic tank was close to empty when i bought the house, its an old " coffin " type system.

I really cant afford a plumber, can i fix this myself??

I was gonna run to home depot and get a 50ft auger and run it down the vent on the roof. People say you can use a hose but that make me nervous. Any ideas?? Im trying to learn to fix things on my own before having to call someone out..

thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
you have a blockage in the toilet line.

get you a snake...pull the crapper and rod out the pipe...should be close

OK.. thanks for the info. Ill get a snake this weekend and try it out. I can poop at work in the meantime :D

Back