How to turn on sprinkler pump? (novice=may be an easy answer!)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chatguy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a new homeowner with an underground sprinkler system, that also has a pump (due to low pressure of city water). Although I've opened up sprinkler systems in other homes before that don't have a sprinkler pump, I do consider myself a novice. Currently, water does flow through the sprinkler heads, but with low pressure, while noticing the pump not turning on.

I noticed the pump is connected to a relay box, which is also connected to the sprinkler control box. The control box and the relay are both plugged into a working outlet, but the pump does not turn on....making me think there is a simple switch to turn it on, that I'm not finding? If so, would anyone know where I can find that switch?

The pump is: Myers model # RJ50S (The sprinkler control is Rain Dial RD900-INT).

Would anyone know how to turn on the Myers RJ50S pump, or where the pump's on/off switch is?

Thanks,
cg

Could be a failure at any the control box or relay box... I have no experience with sprinkler systems, but logically, if there is power to the box, and no other wires leading off to a switch, then the failure has to be after the outlet.

Unless you have any random switches in the house, most likely in the garage, used to turn on the pump...

The relay box you mentioned is probably a pump start with a 24 volt coil. When the timer tells the valves to open for the sprinklers, it also sends a 24 volt signal to the pump start to pull the points together to start the pump.

There is a good chance the coil has opened up and needs to be replaced. No coil, no magnet, no pump start.

Latest posts

Back