How to turn off water to toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drob35

Reaction score
This is probably a very simply question. I'm attaching a picture of what the water valve looks like. What part should I rotate to turn the water off? I can't tell if it's broken or if it's the nut I should be rotating.

Thanks

attachment.php

IMG_20170807_155756.jpg

There used to be a clear plastic handle on the stem sticking out from the valve, it's broken off. You will need to use a pair of pliers or a channel locks to turn the stem. You can also change the guts of the valve (turn main water off to the house first) and then you know for sure everything is gonna work. Most times those handles break when the valve gets tough to turn off.

Reactions: SHR
There used to be a clear plastic handle on the stem sticking out from the valve, it's broken off. You will need to use a pair of pliers or a channel locks to turn the stem. You can also change the guts of the valve (turn main water off to the house first) and then you know for sure everything is gonna work. Most times those handles break when the valve gets tough to turn off.

Thanks, would it be righty tighty still?

Yep! When its off just give the tank a flush and see if it starts filling to confirm the valve holds before starting any work

Back