How to troubleshoot unseen leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocPit_45

Reaction score
From October 2016 to April 2017, my monthly water usage has increased by 352% over the prior year. I live alone; so, I totally control water use. I know there has been no substantial increase in monthly water use from one year to the next (i.e., between, say, October of 2015 and October 2016, etc.). I have used several methods to check for leaks, to check the accuracy of the meter, and to check the possibility that the meter was misread. Nothing!

Someone in another forum posted the following: “You might also check overnight as it's not uncommon for the pressure to increase during the night possibly triggering a leak that isn't really apparent during lower pressure times.” So, for three days and four nights, I performed the following test: I used water as usual from 8:00 am to 8 pm. Then, I ceased ALL water usage during the evening until 8 am the next day. My 3 daytime readings, in cubic feet, were 7.14, 9.59, and 6.33 (average 7.69). My 4 nighttime readings were 83.07, 0.0, 85.88, and 82.72 (average 62.92). I should have expected all 0 readings. Instead, my average for nighttime readings (with all water kept off), including the one 0 reading, was over 8x the daytime readings (normal water use).

That would seem to indicate an intermittent leak that occurs some nights and not others. If a reading of 80+ cubic feet indicates a leak, it would be a leak of ~ 600+ gallons. Seems more like a gusher than a leak! But there’s no indication of a leak in the house or in the crawl space. The other possibility is that the leak occurs in the pipe between the meter and the house. Does that make sense? Would I call just any plumber or a special plumbing contractor to trouble shoot this? Any help would be much appreciated.

My first call would be to the water company and verify the meter is fine. They will also provide hints what to look for when detecting a leak.

turn off all of the valves under the fixturs in the house

kitchen sink, toilets, sinks

turn off the ice maker valve

go outside to the meter, and look at it

it should have a red triangle or star under the glass on the face

stare at it. does it move? if it moves, water is going thru the meter

if water is going through the meter and all valves are closed, you have a leak under ground

Please note, in my post: " I have used several methods to check for leaks, to check the accuracy of the meter, and to check the possibility that the meter was misread. Nothing!" (1) The small, triangular water meter "leak dial" does not move, i.e., no indication of running water when the water is turned off. (2) I used food dye in the toilet tanks, left it for 3 hours. No dye in the bowl. No toilet leaks. (3) No indication of leaks under the sinks. (4) No indication of leaks near pipes in the crawl space. (5) During the day, I took meter readings, then kept all water off for 3 hours, then rechecked the meter. No indication of water use. (6) I filled-up a 5 gallon bucket and checked the meter. The meter moved .67 cubic feet, as expected. Meter appears to be functioning correctly.

The only thing that does not check out is that on some nights--not all nights--the water meter indicates that 80+ cubic feet (equivalent to 600+ gallons) have been used, when, in fact, no water has been used in the house. Again, it seems to me that a "leak" of 600 gallons should cause a flood if it were occurring in the house. That's why I can only imagine that an intermittent increase in pressure is causing a leak outside, either in the pipe between the meter and the house, or, possibly, through the outside irrigation system. That's the only way I can think of that a large amount of water could be expelled and not be seen. I'm not at all knowledgeable about these things. I'm just going on the basis of logic. I'm hoping someone in the forum can either confirm my reasoning or correct it and point to other possibilities.

I will need to go to the water company. But, especially if there is a problem that is likely to be their fault, I want to know that before I contact them.

Please note, in my post: " I have used several methods to check for leaks, to check the accuracy of the meter, and to check the possibility that the meter was misread. Nothing!" (1) The small, triangular water meter "leak dial" does not move, i.e., no indication of running water when the water is turned off. (2) I used food dye in the toilet tanks, left it for 3 hours. No dye in the bowl. No toilet leaks. (3) No indication of leaks under the sinks. (4) No indication of leaks near pipes in the crawl space. (5) During the day, I took meter readings, then kept all water off for 3 hours, then rechecked the meter. No indication of water use. (6) I filled-up a 5 gallon bucket and checked the meter. The meter moved .67 cubic feet, as expected. Meter appears to be functioning correctly.

The only thing that does not check out is that on some nights--not all nights--the water meter indicates that 80+ cubic feet (equivalent to 600+ gallons) have been used, when, in fact, no water has been used in the house. Again, it seems to me that a "leak" of 600 gallons should cause a flood if it were occurring in the house. That's why I can only imagine that an intermittent increase in pressure is causing a leak outside, either in the pipe between the meter and the house, or, possibly, through the outside irrigation system. That's the only way I can think of that a large amount of water could be expelled and not be seen. I'm not at all knowledgeable about these things. I'm just going on the basis of logic. I'm hoping someone in the forum can either confirm my reasoning or correct it and point to other possibilities.

I will need to go to the water company. But, especially if there is a problem that is likely to be their fault, I want to know that before I contact them.

600 gallons is a lot of water
padlock your meter and only turn it on only when you are using it.
start watching your neighbors for any activity of them looking to see why a sprinkler or pool fill is not working
there could possibly be shenanigans afoot

I have never seen pipes leak intermittently due to pressure changes
I have seen pipes leak intermittently on hydronic piping
due to contraction and expansion

Last edited:
Have you isolated and turned off the irrigation system?

My irrigation system is set to manual rather than program. So, it shouldn't go on unless I manually turn it on. But I need to recheck that. That's the only way I can see expelling 600 gallons of water in a night. Thanks very much for the responses.

Latest posts

Back