How to replace this kind of toilet flange?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See the picture:
254218d1457545285-how-replace-kind-toilet-flange-img_20160309_101731.jpg

This is the flange I'm speaking of. If you look at the following picture, you'll see a tiny separation where I *think* the flange and the pipe meet:
254210d1457545254-how-replace-kind-toilet-flange-img_20160309_101900.jpg

Now, I watched on YouTube people replacing flanges. From what I understand, there is an outside fit and an inside fit. With the inside fit, you can saw a slit in the side of the flange, and start (carefully) prying it off. With the outside fit, would we need to cut a hole in the drywall in the basement ceiling and start taking off the flange that way?

How exactly is this kind of flange attached? It doesn't look like the inside fit, but I don't know what the outside fit is supposed to look like. How can we get this replaced, preferably without ripping open the ceiling?

Looks like an ABS flange that's glued over the pipe, I imagine that's a 3"coming up. Most flanges will fit over a 3 in and inside a 4" riser.

Inside cutter and a push flange would fix you up.

If you want to replace, just go underneath and cut the 3" coming up to the toilet.

Take out that old flange, prolly got a few screws in it.

Glue a coupling on the drain underneath, go upstairs and sit your flange, from upstairs, stick your tape down In there and get a measurement, glue it up and set your throne.

{[emoji1303] ([emoji1531]) < politically correct thumbs up! }

That first step from the top surface looks odd. You could have a spacer flange sitting on top of the original.
Take out any screws holding the flange down. See if the top ring pops off.

Back