How to replace cartridge inside this type of faucet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throne7

Reaction score
Was at my mother's home the other day and notice her kitchen faucet is leaking. I would like to fix it for her but not sure how to open it up. It looks similar to this one in the photo. How would you go about opening it up and what kind of cartridge can be used to replace it?

faucet2.jpg

Without knowing the name brand of the one you will actually be working on, it is impossible to give you exact directions.
In the one you pictured, you would start by by removing the red and blue plastic plug on the front of the handle. A hex wrench, or Allen wrench, is inserted through the opening to loosen a set screw that holds the handle. on. With the handle off, you should start to see bow to remove the cartridge.

It looks like a Delta faucet but it's not a kitchen faucet,it's a lav faucet. In any case remove the blue and white button. There will be a allen-screw under it loosen it to remove the handle. There will be a large retaining nut under the handle. Be sure to turn the water off before removing it. You will need a repair kit to re-build the faucet. This link will show you what is needed. If you call Deltas 800# they will ship you the parts free of charge.

Delta RP44123 Ball Valve Repair Kit

John

OK, I finally got around to visiting the mom's place. Here are some photos I shot of the faucet. Could someone tell me what make is it? Is it really a Delta or not? Would be nice to see an internal diagram of it. Thanks a lot!

20111231_154048.jpg

20111231_154103.jpg

20111231_154119.jpg

This weekend. I am going to go over with a set of allen/torx wrench and see if I can disassemble it and take the part over to Home Depot for a replacement.

That's not a Delta faucet it looks more like a Valley. Valley is no longer in business but there are some parts still available although they are after market parts. The problem with after market parts is they don't always fit. It may be wise to replace it with a name brand faucet such as Delta then you will be assured of always being able to get the parts you need. Here is a link to Valley after market parts if you decide to go that wrought.
Valley Kitchen Faucet Repair Parts Schematic - AZ Partsmaster

John

Hello gurus. I have tried to replace the gasket inside the faucet handle of this faucet, didn't solve the problem; the water is still leaking. I am thinking of replacing the whole thing. I looked underneath the counter and see this faucet assembly has two plastic hoses running from it which eventually bolt onto metal pipes. Is the process of replacing this thing just a matter of unbolting the two bolts, remove the assembly, put the new assembly and re-bolting? Or do I have to do some welding/soldering? Thanks! Right now, mom needs a sponge handy to wipe up the water that spills onto the counter every time she uses the kitchen sink.

take a picture of the under sink connections for better assistance, but essentially You disconnect the supply lines from the piping after the shut off valves. Make sure you know how to shut off the water and make sure that you bleed the pressure from the line ( open the tap ) after you isolate it.

I personally would not try repairing the old faucet. You can pick up a pretty inexpensive new, shiny faucet for just a few bucks more than the full repair kit, which is needed to do the job properly.

Yes, they are very simple to install. Just make sure your valves are able to shut off the water completely before digging in....and just follow the simple instructions. Since Valentine's Day is right around the corner, consider this as a gift to your Mom! She will love a nice, bright faucet!

If you need help dealing with the new install, don't hesitate with asking one of us here!

Ok, I was over at my mother's place over the weekend with a new faucet. However once I pulled up the old faucet, I wasn't able to dislodge it from the two plastic water lines that runs into it. It's stuck at the joins where plastic meets copper line of the faucet. See photo (letter A & B). I was afraid to just pull it by force as it might just burst the plastic pipe. I am suppose to replace these two plastic lines too? I was hoping to reuse them. I put everything back down for another go at it next weekend hopefully. By the way, I found out the old faucet was made by Glacier. Available at Home Depot.

old_faucet_up2.jpg

newfaucet0.jpg

How would you gently dislodge the plastic pipes from the old faucet? Is there some special techniques? Thanks in advance.

So, you have to replace them (the plastic hose)? They can not be pulled apart without breaking them? By the way I have some other photos of them at the other end, ie. attached to the water supply. It's just as simple as unbolting them at the other end right?

undersink1.jpg

undersink2.jpg

undersink3.jpg

Yes you can take them off from the lower end. Before installing the new faucet connect the new supply tubes to the faucet then your won't have to reach up behind the sink. Your final connection will be below the sink.

John

You can disconnect the plastic tube from brass fitting and replace it with a braided hose assembly. Look for a 3/8" compression X 1/2" supply. 1/2" will fit on the faucet. use 2 wrenches when you take the old tube off of brass coupling.

Back