How to replace a ball valve and do I have a union ball valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryd

Reaction score
I need to replace some ball valves that connect to my PVB backflow. The ends are threaded but does that mean they are union ends? I am an avid Diyourself person but I won't do what should be done by a pro. Of course I would love to replace the 2 cracked ball valves I have and would consider the option of cutting through the old ball valves to remove them and then purchasing ball valves that would work with an inline installation. Please look at this photo and let me know if the ball valves can be replaced without cutting the supply lines and sweating pipes. Thanks!

cracked ball valve.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I looked around and I now see where those ball valves are not union. is there a way to cut and replace the pipe with a coupling or something that does not require sweating it? Also, because the unit does not leak when the ball valve is open can I use an epoxy to fix the crack and buy me a couple years?

You can cut the copper pipe, replace ball valve then reuse the male adapter and install a shark byte coupling! No soldering

Back