How to repair utility faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derstig

Reaction score
50362156-D77-A-46-DE-8-F61-A0323-D6-A85-C0.jpg

C255-B11-E-4432-4-A25-98-CB-CC7359-DD153-F.jpg

I have an old utility faucet in a laundry room. One side, hot side, has to be really tight to not drip. Furthermore, the hot side is about 1/4 of a turn higher (i.e when both cold and hot are closed, hot isnt equal). I think this is all because of the calcium build up inside.

i would like to repair or replace this. I just dont know what is involved. Can it be repaired?

Shut off water to it.
Remove handle and packing nut. Remove stem and look at washer. Assuming it has washers.
After replacing washer for leak fix, you can adjust handle positions to your liking by removing and replacing in different position.

Last edited:

This video is too long, and the guy sniffs and snorts annoyingly, but everything you need to know is in here.

This video is too long, and the guy sniffs and snorts annoyingly, but everything you need to know is in here.

Thank you, that is what I need. However, it would be good to know what parts those are so I can go buy them in advance. do you know what they might be called at home depot?

There are washer for the drip out the spout. But you have to get the correct size.
The o-rings can be replaced if you want but again you must get correct size. You can replace the o-rings whenever since it easy enough to open it up and again get correct size.
The o-rings prevent it from leaking out the stem.
Just take one of the stem to the store for sizes.

Last edited:
They're washer for the drip out the spout. But you have to get the correct size.
The o-rings can be replaced if you want but again you must get correct size. You can replace the o-rings whenever since it easy enough to open it up and again get correct size.
The o-rings prevent it from leaking out the stem.
Just take one of the stem to the store for sizes.

thank you. Isnt it easier to just replace the entire thing with the $40 unit homedepot sells?

I always wondered what those big nuts are on the supply line connecting to faucet and how they are removed. Can they simply be loosened or is there more to it?

Those big nuts are part of a union fitting, which came with the faucet.

Yes, the big nut will unscrew and then can be lifted up higher on the pipe.

To install a new faucet, you either have to cut the pipes above the faucet and attach new adapters, probably sharkbite type, then run new long flex supply lines underneath the sink, because they are usually fed from below.

You also can find practically that same exact faucet still for sale, and if you are lucky the big union nuts that are trapped on the old supply pipes will fit properly onto a new faucet of that same type.

I would personally just fix up the old one.

Or unscrew the big nuts, which will release the faucet completely.

Then take it to a plumbing supply that does small repairs, or see if that old faucet will mate up with the big union nuts of a new faucet just like it, which they probably carry.
Plumbing shops still sell those rugged laundry faucets.
If the union nuts and seats match up, then buy the new one and attach it and you are done.

I have repaired that style faucet, sometimes they were at least 70 years old, and they can last another 70 years with some maintenance.

The Home Depot plastic crap will die in five or ten years of heavy use, or even sooner.

Last edited:
This Home Depot faucet might fit right onto the old big union nuts.

Cast Brass Laundry Faucet

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100407733

You would have to bring the old faucet to the store, and hope they will let you open the new one to try out the fit.

Many other places sell very similar faucets.

Plumbing supply shops would really be your safest bet, they will be able to tell you if their faucet unions fits well and seals well.

Last edited:
Riickk,

I was just trying to suggest several options to the OP, who seemed stumped by the whole process.

So I posted a video of how to fix it himself, and also suggested taking the whole faucet to a plumbing supply that does repairs, or finally just trying to swap out the faucet if the union faces and nuts match up.

I know, but the guy seemed to know zip, yet still intent on blowing $$ for parts, and labor he doesn't have the knowledge skills for, to gain almost nothing.
Back in mid 70s i knew nothing but was able to figure out how to change a washer in a faucet.
Today there's YouTube to show you how-to most everything, while people walk around in despair, asking "OMG how do i remove the wrapper from this popsicle? This too hard to figure out"

I think I'm going to earn a grumpy old man award soon.

I have to repress my naturally grumpy side on at least half the threads I comment on here.

Because it will only discourage someone who needs help, even if sometimes they are super annoying.

Once in a while I do call BS if someone is a fool, a jerk, or pushing me beyond my patience.

This poster is not annoying at all, just lost in the woods, needing a helpful hand to lead the way out.

50362156-D77-A-46-DE-8-F61-A0323-D6-A85-C0.jpg

C255-B11-E-4432-4-A25-98-CB-CC7359-DD153-F.jpg

I have an old utility faucet in a laundry room. One side, hot side, has to be really tight to not drip. Furthermore, the hot side is about 1/4 of a turn higher (i.e when both cold and hot are closed, hot isnt equal). I think this is all because of the calcium build up inside.

i would like to repair or replace this. I just dont know what is involved. Can it be repaired?

turn off water to the house
remove the faucet
remove the handles and the stems
soak the whole faucet in CLR for 12 hours
replace the bib washers on the stem

reinstall the faucet

You better call an expert to either repair that or buy new ones.

This a DIY site. We answer questions that are asked as to how to fix the plumbing
If the OP after hearing the options on how to fix his problem. Sees that he is incapable of doing the work
Then, He has the option to call a pro.
what I try not to do is judge someone's ability to do for himself
The fix for this faucet is VERY SIMPLE.

Hey friends, is you suspect someone is coming in here to self promote their business, please report the post and I will take care of it. I just banned Chris because it seems he is only concerned about self promoting his business, or telling people needing help to "CALL A PLUMBER." This is not what this forum is about.

Hey friends, is you suspect someone is coming in here to self promote their business, please report the post and I will take care of it. I just banned Chris because it seems he is only concerned about self promoting his business, or telling people needing help to "CALL A PLUMBER." This is not what this forum is about.

GET EM !!! HAVASU !!!!!!!!!!

Wolf-Snarling.jpg

There are some posters on this site that you can tell they are going to do nothing but get themselves in trouble.
So, it is for their best interest to Call a Plumber.

Back