How to repair leaky outdoor water shutoff valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went to turn on the outdoor water supply for the summer only to find that the valve is dripping. I suspected it would leak because its over 30 years old. The packing nut looks like it has been tightened before, but i think i would much rather replace rather than repack the nut. It is a stop and waste valve. I attached a few images showing what im working with. I'm not sure what to do because the valve is so close to the wall and in tight quarters. Doing a quick search online, others have replaced with a compression valve or soldered in a quarter turn. What do you guys think i should do in this situation and what valve should i put there? Thanks, Kyle

Update: I restored packing nut, but only consider this temporary. I am still open to suggestions on how to reconfigure the plumbing in that area.

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02575.jpg

File_001.jpg

File_003.jpg

File_005.jpg

Last edited:
Get yourself a flameproof cloth atvthe big box store. Nail it to the wall behind the sweat joints and sweat off. I would replace with a ball valve.

If you can't solder then hire some one who can.
If you hire someone who can, make sure they are insured.
Fire can ruin your day really fast.

If you can solder than just replace the valve.

I agree with Mr David. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Back