How to rejoin an attic PVC vent pipe with a 2 inch gap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtv

Reaction score
Hello,

I have standard 1-1/2 inch. PVC vent pipe running from my bathroom sinks into the attic. I am going to cut out about 2 inches or so away from the middle of the pipe in the attic so I can get a snake in and try to clear out the hair clog in the sinks.

So I need to re-join the two pieces of pipe together with now a 2 inch gap between them. Either side of the pipe is rigid and cant move cause the piece running up from the attic floor is solid in the wall and the piece going through the roof is solid, so either side cant be moved.

I've seen rubber sleeves with hose clamps on either ends at the local hardware store in the plumbing aisle advertised as a way to join two pieces of PVC vent pipe together. Is this suggested and/or recommended to do for PVC attic venting? If not, what is the perferred method to re-join the ends of these two pipes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would use the rubber couplings, but I would replace the section of pipe that you cut out. Even better, cut in a Tee with a threaded outlet to the side that you can close with a threaded plug. That way, if you ever need to do this again, you already have access.

Phishfood,

Thanks for your response.

I figure the rubber couplings would fit better cause they can move to the right spot on either ends of the pipe before I screw-down the couplings. Im not experienced working with PVC and I dont have alot of room to work in the attic, so I figure trying to fit a 'rigid' Tee on two im-mobile pieces of PVC pipe would be difficult to do.

Thanks again.

What I am saying is to cut out a larger section of pipe, and use the rubber coupling to replace the section of pipe with a tee that will allow you to use a snake through the side of the tee.

Ahh....I gotcha. After thinking about it more, I now understand.

Thanks.

Back