How to learn the basics about plumbing and products involved in plumbing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vatacvalves

Reaction score
I just got a new job at menards, and they put me in the plumbing department...I'm a girl and know nothing about plumbing supplies and what all the names are for everything. If someone could direct me to a website or something to better understand plumbing stuff that would be greatly appreciated!

I know some plumbers still trying to figure it out. and I know a few people on this forum that are not plumbers that know more then some plumbers.

This place is a start. ask specific question and a few here will be more than happy to point you in that direction.

30+yrs in the trade and I learn new thing here often.

So if you have a lot of products to get familiar with don't panic.
Pick an item or group of items and wiki it or ask.
maybe one of those do it your self plumbing manual with basics to get started

try Nibco and Charlotte websites for copper and PVC fittings

Being a girl isn't a handicap. Have a couple regulars here that get their hands dirty.

Hasn't been 24 hrs since your original post and you have 6 replies already.:eek:

Here's something you should know.

Differences in types of threaded pipe and fittings.

pipe VS tube
IPS = Iron pipe size. threads are tapered.
compression fitting use a ferrule to seal fitting on tubing.
flared fittings which you don't see to much of these days except in preassembled gas flex lines.

We'll turn you into an expert before you even come back for a 2nd post.

I just got a new job at menards, and they put me in the plumbing department...I'm a girl and know nothing about plumbing supplies and what all the names are for everything. If someone could direct me to a website or something to better understand plumbing stuff that would be greatly appreciated!

So, they have a Menard's in China?

Back