how to install a frost free hose bibb

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denno

Reaction score
Um...what I said....

Is there already an old thread (or is there a section of the site where basic how-2s are stored?) on this?

If not, can you start me from scratch? My one outside spigot definitely freezes and I have to thaw it with a bucket of hot water if I need it, so I'm supposing it is not frost-free. I have run a hose into my mudroom from the basement, so I usually don't use the outside one now; but might as well have it done right.

Thanks

Post a photo of the spigot and a photo of the water line that the spigot is connected to in the basement.
Are you leaving a hose on the spigot doing winter ?

Thanks for your reply. Here are inside and outside pix. Will take advice on leaving a hose attached. Won't be using it much, I don't guess.

spigot-outside.jpg

spigot-inside.jpg

That is a frost proof faucet. If it's freezing then it could be it's not pitched to the spout. What else can do it is if you don't remove the hose connections from the faucet. The way they work is when you turn the water off it's seat is on the inside of the house and the remaining water in the line drains from the faucet. But that can't happen with all the connections you have on the hose bib.

John

OK, I can take the manifold and hoses off, and just apply when I need it. I kind of doubt it's pitched anywhere. Suspect the water pipe inside is just level. I can check that.

Hmm. So how they work is the handle has a long stem to get to the basement space. Of course, this is an old house with a couple-feet-thick stone foundation, so the seat is really in a space over the foundation. S'pose it couldn't hurt to insulate the outside wall some, there.

Last edited:
From looking at the photo the seat is inside the foundation wall. The way to tell if it's pitched correctly is remove all the hoses, turn the faucet on then off. Then you should see the remaining water drain out of the spout not under pressure.

John

Well, that's simple! I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Could be the seals inside are letting water into the frost free section. If this is the case then bib has failed. Only option is to replace. Spin it out if you can after turning the water off. Then replace it. If you damage copper behind the wall. You must repair it or it will get wet. Lol. Hose bibs are cheap so just relace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't get pitch, you can install a ball valve with a drain port in the basement on the copper water line just before the hydrant -- then you could shut the water off in the basement and blow the hydrant out with air. (The hydrant seem to fit the hole snug)

Latest posts

Back