How to increase water flow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoo1257

Reaction score
I have an automation irrigation system present for the front/back yards. The valves are from Irritrol and look something like this http://www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_311as.html

Not shown the the picture, but behind the solenoid is a small handle one can use to manually turn the water on/off. And the valve on top of this doesn't do anything. This is where I would think one can increase or decrease flow, but doesn't do jack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't believe that valve will increase flow. Either it will shut down the system or open it fully. If the flow is not adequate, then you either have low water pressure or too many sprinklers on that zone.

The top valve doesn't do a thing. Not even shuts off. The number of sprinkler heads is probably why the pressure isn't that high. In the backyard I have 3 zones. One is for the 300-350 sqft lawn with about 8 heads. Zone 2 has 13 shrub/bubbler heads. Zone 3 only has 9 compared to zone 2 but still can't get it to flow more. The question is do those mushroom bubblers have a significant impact on pressure?

Yes they can, depending on how they are set. Shut down or reduce the flow to some of the sprinkler heads and see if this helps you.

Probably too many heads for the pipe size. You probably have a 1/2" line and need a 3/4" or reduce the number of heads.

Probably too many heads for the pipe size. You probably have a 1/2" line and need a 3/4" or reduce the number of heads.

Thanks. Ima gonna look for the pipe and see. What's the pvc pipe one below the 1/2"?

You will have 1/2" Risers on the sprinklers unless they are gear drive so you will have to dig down to the main line to see the size. It will be easier to find a way to get rid of a head or two then to change the pipe size.

You may be able to get rid of several regular heads for one or two gear drives if they are placed correctly.

Also before you tear anything apart pull the heads off and see if the screens are plugged or have junk in them.

Is this a new problem or has it been acting up for a while? If you have an electric solenoid sometimes the will start to corrode and not open fully. I have had to replace all of mine but they are only about 8 bucks at the box store.

The ones with the bubblers/shrub sprinklers water just the shrub and roses. It's been like that since I purchased the house back in Sept 2011. But, always thought it was weird that I couldn't control the flow using that top valve. In an older house I owned had no sprinkler system, using the valve I was able to turn on and off and slow and increase the flow of water.

I'm not familiar with this brand valve, but the ones I am familiar with that have the valve your talking about when fully opened will allow full flow. When turned down, it can turn off the water flow, but is really intended to be set to help the valve close down quicker when 24 volt is removed form the solenoid.

You might want to try and swap the bubbler heads for drip heads and run them to the plant base, they use a lot less water and may increase your other sprinklers spray.

I do believe most have a flow adjuster but I am also not familiar with that brand. Most of the time they are preset to full open when new.

Back