How to identify a Moen kitchen faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddahlgren

Reaction score
2 handle single spout with sprayer purchased around 2003-2004. It needs new cartridges as it drips. Looking online there seem to be a few that might fit. Some need a special wrench of some sort and some don't. If new cartridges solve it for another 10 or 12 years I will be old enough to not care. I am hoping to not have to buy the special wrench as the one I saw on the same website was around 60 bucks to never be used again. If I take off the spout faucet handles and chrome cover are there normally any numbers on the main body that are helpful?

If you have a standard 2 handle moen kitchen faucet they most likely are the 1224 cartridge. No special tool to replace these.

I will go with your thought and get 2 1224 cartridges. What do I need to change them beyond normal mechanics hand tools?

Turn off water, take center button out of handle. Take out Phillips head screw. Pull off handle. Take cresent wrench and unscrew brass
fitting holding the cartridge. If its corroded you can use channel locks also. Pull cartridge out and replace with new. Put cartridge in
the same way the old one was. The cartridges are the same so don't worry about getting them mixed up between hot & cold.
Put back together the same way. Your done. Hope this helps some.

Helps a bunch Thanks and sounds very easy to do. I found OEM Moen parts online for a bit under 10 bucks each so looking like a 25 dollar fix and under an hour. I have new parts for the 2 shower fixtures (large shower with dual shower heads and faucets) maybe will make a casual morning of it and so both.

Ok handles off spout off what gets sheet metal out of the way? Is it screwed to the body from under neath? I did tap on the part that was under the spout and managed to pull the screws out of the plastic. The rest looks metal and obviously not part of the sink. If the whole faucet has to come out that will be a major pain in the butt.

Called Moen and they were right on top of it. They would have sent free parts as well. There is a separate cover that covers the cartridge and nut that holds it in. It un

Back