How To Extend the Length of a Fluidmaster Fill Valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezix

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought someFluidmaster fill valves for my toilets. I've been doing this for the last 46 years with no problems. The last time I replaced one was 4-5 years ago and then again 2-3 years ago. I had a helluva time pulling the valve apart to set the total length of the valve. The lock collar was loose so that's not the problem. Out of the box the valves are compressed to their shortest length. I don't recall what I did to increase the length but if I remember right whatever I did made it very easy to set the height and reset the lock collar.

I tried unscrewing the top part from the bottom part but nothing happened. Then I tried putting the new valve in my vise and then pulling the bottom part out as hard as I could but it wouldn't budge. How can I extend the length of the valve?

The shaft unscrews or you pull the locking ring up and pull, then push the locking ring back down.

If you’re having trouble then you maybe got a bad batch.

No, one does NOT, repeat, ONE DOES NOT pull the locking ring up to adjust the height of the valve.

So I called Fluidmaster's 800 number and spoke with a Fluidmaster tech. During the discussion I mentioned that I had the "locking ring" pulled all the way up so it touches the bottom of the float. The tech said, "That's wrong. Put the ring all the way down so that it touches the top of the black ring, the bottom of which the rubber seal presses. Then twist the upper and lower parts to engage the adjustment threads."

And so I did.

And then I could adjust the height.

Like the dummy that I am, I thought I was supposed to raise the "locking ring", adjust the height, and then lower the locking ring all the way to the bottom to prevent the height adjustment from changing. Didn't even notice the position of the lock ring in the Fluidmaster instructions o_O .

You can do it just as I described in my response with the fluidmasters I have

I just went out to my shop and checked 5 or 6 of them.

They just don’t tell people to adjust them that way.

I change the top half of the fluidmasters that way all the time, leaving the old shank

I tell ya what, you better not pull that locking ring up and leave it like that 🤣

To each his own.....✌

I've done as Twowaxhack describes for several years. I keep several fluidmasters in queue and about once per year pull up the collar ... slide the top valve off the shank and slide a new one on. Works for me.

I just replaced one the other day and I wanted to leave the shank in place. Pulled the ring up and replaced with new at
the height I wanted and then pushed ring back on tight. If someone leaves that ring up like TW said they will have one
heck of a mess. I guess I'm not sure what fluidmaster is trying to explain to you. Sounds like that tech better go out
in the field and learn something.

I have found a few that when jammed all the way in the short position that it was very difficult to pull out even if the ring was released.

Maybe he got a hold to one like that.

That said, I pull the ring up and adjust on a regular basis.

I do it with the water on and you can feel the valve jump trying to come apart.

Back