How to delay waterflow in rain gutter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Ali

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in south east Asia where rain has been heavier than usual.

One of our rain gutter serves as catch basin for the upper floor and ground floor. (see attached video)
The old design with the gutter down pipe and the enlarged gutter worked efficiently for the past year. However, recent torrential rains have caused rain water to pond and overflow, covering a portion of the roof.

I changed the design and redirected the down pipe towards the ground floor roof (see attached video) but we still experienced short overflowing and ponding.
We already cleaned the gutter but the issue persists.

My question is, how can I redesign the gutter down pipe so that it delays the rainwater, enough for the main gutter to drain as usual?

Thank you

Attachments

• after piping.mp4
    741.3 KB
  • before pipe.mp4
    2.9 MB
Of course in the ''before'' video it is raining harder, but you are on the right track......which way is the gutter downspout?

Gutter downspout is located below the pvc pipe

Attachments

• downspout location.jpg
    downspout location.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
If I extend the pipe and create two exits, will it delay the outpouring of the torrential rains?
The intent is to delay excess rainwater enough for the downspout to drain as usual

Attachments

• will this work.jpg
    will this work.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't understand - why you want to "delay excess rainwater"?

I use a rain barrel to slowly release water from the rain gutters. This way, I don;t have a surge of water during huge rain events. Could this be considered for you?

Back