How to break up tough clogs in septic drain field

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSen

Reaction score
All 5 laterals of the drain field in my septic system is completely clogged. I've verified that water is getting pumped into the pipes but it's not making it all the way through the pipes when the end sweeps are open.

I had the lines jetted but it didn't solve the problem. I suspect that the company that did it wasn't very thorough and stopped at the point that it hit a blockage. Clearly the blockages were too tough for the hydro-jet to break through

Is there an alternative, stronger tool for breaking up those clogs - like an auger with a metal bit that's used to break through roots in sewer lines? I'm trying to avoid having to dig out the pipes and replace them

How do you know there’s a blockage and what do you think is causing the blockage ?

The pipe may be fine but the drain field itself may be water logged or created a biomat and is similar to a pond bottom, water tight.

How do you know there’s a blockage and what do you think is causing the blockage ?

The pipe may be fine but the drain field itself may be water logged or created a biomat and is similar to a pond bottom, water tight.
Drilled holes in the pipes right after the manifold and confirmed water is getting through to the pipes. But nothing is coming out of the end sweeps when the caps are off. Not sure what's causing it. Snaked the pipes and the blockages feel very solid. Could have built up over years. It's 25 years old

Let them drain down and have a camera ran into it and see what if anything you can see.

That or dig it all up.

Back