How to approach new construction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about how folks approach new construction. More specifically, what is the general order of operations? My design is a 2-story with 2 1/2 bathrooms intentionally clustered around a single wet-wall/service cavity. There will be one horizontal branch and basically 3 bathroom groups each with a stack that will run vertically down to the horizontal branch (out the basement via an overhead sewer). Do plumbers start with locating the vent-roof penetration, then getting the main vertical stacks and (in my case) the horizontal branch aligned and in place before tackling the fixtures? In general, is there a best practice that most pro’s follow when approaching new construction? I understand that every project is probably different but I am just trying to understand how it all comes together in the context of all the subs.

Thanks.

We always top out and finish up in the basement, now our boss, he likes to start in the basement and work his way up. To each his own. I like topping out first, it gets cold here, it's warmer up top in the morning and by the end of the day the basement has had time to heat up a little lmao.

I start out by drilling out where I want the drains thru the floor.

then drop down to the basement and plot my route to the holes.

It is customary to run all your drains and vents first, then your water

it is easier to offset the water around sewer than sewer around water

after the sewer vent and after is run. including tubs and showers

I run the gas last. strap everything down, test it, head to the beer joint

Thanks Frodo. In particular, I want to make sure my floor joists don't interfere with drain placement. Can you offer any advice to someone in design phase? I know the 30" opening dimension for a toilet... so is it advisable just to make sure there is plenty of room in between the joist OC dimension and it lines up more or less with where that 15" (halfway point) dimension for the center of the toilet?

the one that usually gets in the way is the tub floor joist. a 30'' /32'' tub drain is at 14''--16'' from wall

all you can do, is lay the bathroom out using the framing plan and the floor/plumbing plan

you are correct, if you have a 30'' opening, your toilet will center at 25''

if you have a joist that is in your way. head it off.

Brssketch.jpg

Latest posts

Back