How much would a complete cast iron reroute cost?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gendow

Reaction score
And replaced with ABS plastic? Shower drain, tub drain, basin, toilet and vents. I'm thinking $5000 total. Am I pretty close or way off base? All the cast iron pipes are corroded beyond repair.

oJSz986.jpg

YzXzriZ.jpg

RZoJPMO.jpg

XhMYApF.jpg

Your probably close to being correct. But don’t forget to budget for any drywall repair. How many fixtures do you have? Include water heater and washing machine. Our cast iron replacement starts at $325 per fixture. Then backs down for extra tall access. But that doesn’t fit your crawlspace. Remember that every hour is counted by minutes. Physically removing cast iron from crawlspace (after job complete)takes man hours. So if you wanna save 3-4 hundred then you should be able to volunteer to remove it yourself. But don’t volunteer up front. Wait for his bid. Then ask how much is accounted for removal if you do it. Get someone confident enough to supply a stoppage warranty. If pvc is installed per manufacture specs then it will never catch anything

My employer will charge around10k (and sell it easily)nice huh ..take into account if inspection will be performed ,24hour hotline,warranty and experienced safe,clean plumbers.anything less then 2kand you have to ask where are they gonna do shortcuts?

wow. I would be afraid of any prices without knowing more about house. After you get drain replaced. Start budgeting for water replacement. That copper looking old too. 1 bath of cast shouldn’t take a day. Complete new flange tub trim and trim trap for vanity. So 1 bath? If you pay 10k I am signing up for the PSI( plumbers success international) tomorrow. But then going to a customer base that I don’t attend church with.

The bathroom consists of 4 fixtures, a toilet, basin, shower stall, and bathtub. The crawl space is about 3' tall so all work would be done sitting or kneeling under the house but the access gate is near all the cast iron. The State is in Hawaii so UPC plumbing codes apply. House belongs to family members and I was visiting but live in Los Angeles (I didn't have enough time). Owners have hired a plumber but not sure of the costs. I was a licensed plumber from 1990-2000 and still know my codes but a bit rusty, so I visualized needing a 3" combo for the toilet along with 3"x 2" santee for the toilet vent (not sure why they installed a 3" toilet vent), clean-out, 2" short sweep for the basin and 2" combo laying down to catch the basin, 2" p-trap for the shower and 2" x 1.5" santee for its vent, etc.

ABS is the easiest to work with. Cast iron would need a chop saw with grinding/cutting wheel or a snap chain cutter.

Hawaii’s UPC code requires ABS. PVC can only be used for lawn sprinklers.

Goo
Hawaii’s UPC code requires ABS. PVC can only be used for lawn sprinklers.
good to know. One of the main reasons you can't use it here is when the vents are going out of roof, the sun would break down the ABS.

That is weird. All of our cattle supply tanks are black abs to withstand uv rays. Been holding water since I was a kid. 38+ years. I will double check my research. Anytime I run gutter drains that are partially exposed. Use abs. But i have to plan ahead and order. Pvc is the norm here so suppliers carry pvc. Old guys not liking mobile homes was my explanation for it not getting used here in middle Tn.

When I started umpteen years ago all that everyone used was ABS. Vents still sticking out of roof with no problems. Now
guys are using pvc because it sits straighter in a ditch and it is a lot cheaper.

Back