How much should installation of a tankless heater into an existing setup cost?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talisman

Reaction score
Our outdoor tankless natural gas water heater had some pipes burst. The only plumber we could find estimates the cost of installing a new one (excluding the cost of the unit!) to be $1,000-$1,400, depending on whether we go with the same model. That sounds outrageous to me. Is it within the expected range?

Part of what makes this frustrating is that in a couple of weeks we plan to move the unit to the side of the house so we can install some windows -- and a different plumber quoted us $750 for that whole project. (Unfortunately, we have renters now and can't wait that long.) Something smells fishy here.

A tankless swap out of the same model number, considering there are NO other problems and the plumber doesn’t have to park down the street and hike 300 yrds to the house then wait for you to decide to open the door then climb up 20’ on a ladder to replace it.......while your dog is barking below......
You picking up what I’m laying down ?

It should only take a few minutes once they pulled up out front. Like no more than an hour.

For 1500 labor I might load up the family snd drive over from Bama to swap it out for you. Do you have friends 😬😬😬😬 that need the same thing ? I’m a 36 yr pro 👍

Ha! Thanks, that is very helpful. Unfortunately I can't get the exact same model (Noritz NR66-OD) delivered quickly, so I may as well go for a Rinnai. Any guesses as to how much cost that should add to the installation?

Ha! Thanks, that is very helpful. Unfortunately I can't get the exact same model (Noritz NR66-OD) delivered quickly, so I may as well go for a Rinnai. Any guesses as to how much cost that should add to the installation?
Couple Hundos at the most, maybe nothing.

You should be installing a new heater INSIDE the house.

Duh!

Climate change is real.

Your new heater will be freezing again, sooner than later.

At least build some kind of utility shed or closet, to keep the heater and exposed pipes from freezing.

And get a generator.

Just called another (this time, reputable) plumber and he says he'll do it for $750. I'm guessing these crazy prices are just because demand is so high in Austin right now.

As for moving to indoor -- I like the idea, but may take even more time and is prob too much while the renters are there. Any clever ways to keep it insulated outdoors? Cover it if we ever have another storm maybe?

you can’t cover the vent if it’s an outdoor unit.
You can cover the piping but without some source of heat/power and it’s gets cold enough......it’s going to ruin it.
The proper thing to do would be shut the heater down and drain it.

Maybe even drain all the pipes if you lose power for extended periods in very cold weather.
I’d rather have no water than no water with bursted pipes.

Insulation only works if there is heat to be insulated from cold.

When power goes out, the heater shuts off, water gets cold.
No more heat to be insulated.

Maybe you would be ok with trickling the hot water taps, to keep city water moving in and out of the heater.

But if they cut off the water, now this won’t work.

Only solution is complete draining of all exposed pipes and heater, as Twowaxhack advised.

Or a generator, and some system of back up heat for out there.

Oh right, forgot about the power going out.

Will an indoor system fare any better though if the power is off? Eventually it will get just as cold indoors as outdoors. What am I missing?

Oh right, forgot about the power going out.

Will an indoor system fare any better though if the power is off? Eventually it will get just as cold indoors as outdoors. What am I missing?

nothing.......pipes can freeze if they’re not heated. It’s not real complicated.. you are right on target.

The key word is “eventually”.

Pipes outside get cold right away.

Pipes and fixtures and water heaters inside have the trapped heat from the house keeping them from freezing.

With no power, the house should still stay above freezing for many hours.

Which would be fine for shorter power outages.

For longer ones, those extra hours give you time to fire up a generator, or kerosene space heater, etc.

Or get a wood fireplace going, gas logs, etc.

Some gas fireplaces can have battery backup for the blower.

The answer is either draining the system or having back up power. Install the pipes in such a way that if the building is heated they won’t freeze.

I have to pipe up:
1. There is time involved to pick up the unit, unpack, hang (which I always have two people do, because we only install Navien and those are heavy).
2. Actual plumbing. Then purge, startup, test cycle. (plus electrical if no plug-in).
3. Clean-up, pack out and register the unit.
In my book and any good business persons view, that is easily $1,000 and we never would charge less than $1,500.

I have to pipe up:
1. There is time involved to pick up the unit, unpack, hang (which I always have two people do, because we only install Navien and those are heavy).
2. Actual plumbing. Then purge, startup, test cycle. (plus electrical if no plug-in).
3. Clean-up, pack out and register the unit.
In my book and any good business persons view, that is easily $1,000 and we never would charge less than $1,500.
We stock the units, Rinnai and it usually takes me an hour once I get to the job total. I don’t register the unit for them, I give them the card to fill out and send in. I warranty the unit top to bottom for one year, I even have a loaner heater if needed.

I wish I had 5 a day at $1,000 labor each, I’d retire in a couple years.

What I’ve found is labor is regional. You can’t charge the same in backwoods Mississippi as you do in Las Vegas or New York. But the cost of doing business and cost of living isn’t comparable either.

We have legit companies here that would do that job for $300 labor.

Your supply house won’t run you one over to the job when you need it ? I buy the supply house guys lunch once a month here......I get the best prices and stuff delivered all the time. They even get in their personal cars and bring it......🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
So far I've gotten three quotes: $1,000-$1,500; $750; $950. The latter two are reputable plumbers with good reviews (for "affordable service") on Yelp. I guess them's the rates here and now!

So far I've gotten three quotes: $1,000-$1,500; $750; $950. The latter two are reputable plumbers with good reviews (for "affordable service") on Yelp. I guess them's the rates here and now!
Make sure they have plumbing license and insurance.

Check this wreck out. No one got hurt.

I loaned them a Rinnai because their Navien was defective and Navien strung them along for 2 weeks sending BS part after part even though the tests on these parts proved good.
They would intermittently have failed ignition codes......very irritating and COLD.

There was a bathroom being added to this side of the house at the time. That’s why everything looks torn apart. Temporary gas line was installed during construction.

They ended buying a new a Rinnai they liked the loaner so much. They said it looked better too on the side of the house. 2050D9CF-493C-4B12-8CE5-772C450E2ECA.jpeg

This took exactly 45 minutes from the time I stepped out of the truck. I did have a helper.
Single family residence, the water cut off was accessible and the heater is 75’ from the street on the side of the house. Easy access. E8A7EE41-9641-442D-8597-F4FFFF80C0E8.jpeg
EA0164E3-E924-4ACF-B18C-F9FC0E094D9B.jpeg
They said install it, don’t worry about the paint, we want hot water.

Latest posts

Back