How much do plumbers know about PEX piping?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyb7691

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have a general question about plumber knowledge of PEX Piping.
I am going to hire a reasonably reputable plumber to relocate and install
some new PEX piping in my finished basement.

I asked him long long my pipes can be exposed to sunlight. As the drywall was removed
and the pipes are exposed to some indirect sun light. I know that UV light can
damage PEX piping if exposed for a longer period than the pipes rating for UV light.

I was surprised that he had no idea what I was talking about.

Is this common knowledge or am I being to hard on the plumber for not knowing that UV light
can damage PEX piping? He is a residential plumber I think for the most part.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers

It used to be thirty days. But I think with the red and blue coatings that are on the new stuff, I think that it’s different. I’m talking about type “A” pex. Type “B” is a different animal that I don’t use. Call Uponor and ask.
Don’t get too hot at your guy. Most plumbers don’t get nerdy because theydont run into stuff like that much. I’m a service guy that is constantly dealing with problems, so I have to dive into things differently.

It used to be thirty days. But I think with the red and blue coatings that are on the new stuff, I think that it’s different. I’m talking about type “A” pex. Type “B” is a different animal that I don’t use. Call Uponor and ask.
Don’t get too hot at your guy. Most plumbers don’t get nerdy because theydont run into stuff like that much. I’m a service guy that is constantly dealing with problems, so I have to dive into things differently.
Thanks RenewDave.
I was thinking that.

As a service tech, I'd imagine it's different pending the type of PEX. Like mentioned before, their are 3 different types of PEX. A,b,and c, and all are rated different. That's when I'd get on the horn with the manufacturer and figure it out.

To be clear, you are asking about INDIRECT sunlight exposure, correct?

I am no expert, but I have never heard nor read of any damage to pex from indirect sunlight. If you find out something different, please post back.

My understanding has been 30-90 days, depending on type of PEX. Consider this, since about the early 80s, windows have had a Low-e film added to the inside of the insulated glass. It is likely that your windows have a Low-e coating, which blocks UV light, so your PEX would be safe from that problem. If you shine a flashlight at the insulated glass, you will see 4 different reflections. If one of those has a slightly different hue, then the glass has a Low-e coating.
Some other possible sources of UV light might be from the observation port of a UV water filter, or from a lamp with a full spectrum light, or from a grow light (for plants).

An ex boss of mine used to store his pex pipe outside, year round.

While I don’t agree with it, I will say that there’s coils that have been out there for years, and I have never heard of any failures after installation

Every PEX tube type, and there are more than just 3, have markings on the tubing indicating all sorts of information. One of which is a 4 digit number representing Chlorine & UV Resistance. Here is one I got from one of the manufacturers literature.
Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
I asked him long long my pipes can be exposed to sunlight. As the drywall was removed and the pipes are exposed to some indirect sun light. I know that UV light can damage PEX piping if exposed for a longer period than the pipes rating for UV light.

You're worried about him as a plumber. OTOH, maybe he should be worried about you as a client. This concern about indirect UV degrading PEX during short exposure might be indicative of more grief to come during and after the project. Don't be surprised if he's suddenly overbooked and can't take on your project.

jack vines

"Is this common knowledge or am I being to hard on the plumber for not knowing that UV light
can damage PEX piping?"

Fair questioin.
I suppose as in all professions, not everyone knows everything.
Take my doctor, for example.:p

As a service tech, I'd imagine it's different pending the type of PEX. Like mentioned before, their are 3 different types of PEX. A,b,and c, and all are rated different. That's when I'd get on the horn with the manufacturer and figure it out.
Thank you.

To be clear, you are asking about INDIRECT sunlight exposure, correct?

I am no expert, but I have never heard nor read of any damage to pex from indirect sunlight. If you find out something different, please post back.

Thanks, yeah it's just indirect from a basement window.

You're worried about him as a plumber. OTOH, maybe he should be worried about you as a client. This concern about indirect UV degrading PEX during short exposure might be indicative of more grief to come during and after the project. Don't be surprised if he's suddenly overbooked and can't take on your project.

jack vines
That's a good point. I do ask questions and have high standards. But I don't think it's asking too much for someone to
understand the tools and equipment of their trade.

Every PEX tube type, and there are more than just 3, have markings on the tubing indicating all sorts of information. One of which is a 4 digit number representing Chlorine & UV Resistance. Here is one I got from one of the manufacturers literature.
View attachment 19929
Thanks DIE HARD that helps. Cheers. I'm looking into Bow Super Pex right now.
Thanks Justin, I'm just checking that out. Cheers.

Thanks, yeah it's just indirect from a basement window.
If you happen to find out that indirect sunlight will damage the red and blue pex you get from home depot, please post back to let us know. I use it all the time in unfinished basements of my rentals which all get some indirect sunlight.

If you happen to find out that indirect sunlight will damage the red and blue pex you get from home depot, please post back to let us know. I use it all the time in unfinished basements of my rentals which all get some indirect sunlight.

From what I have heard online direct UV light from sunlight can damage PEX if exposed continuously for more than it's rating. 0-3.
But that would be if you store it outside or on new building developments. I am not a plumber fyi. Check with the manufacturer or look at the pipe itself and all the info should be on it.

Latest posts

Back