how long for heating tape to thaw frozen pipes.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codecobalt

Reaction score
Man. I moved into a new apartment right before x-mas and it has been nothing but problems since. First 3 weeks water being run in half the house would cause the bathtub and toilet to overflow. Landlord finally got mr. Rooter over and they spent a few hours outside snaking the pipe and got it so that the water didn't back up. The tub still drained really slow and a 5-10 minute shower would have it backed up to my shins. Past 2 weeks waters been backing up into the tub even when no water is running in the house. Past week there's no cold water.

Few weeks before the furnace went out and they worked on it but apparently forgot to replug the electrical heating tape for my water pipes. Plugged it back in 2 days ago but still no cold water. Our temperatures have been 10-30 degrees for the past week. I'd like to get under the house and put a space heater oscillating on the pipes but of course there's been a family of skunks living under the house for the past few weeks (whole nother horrible story). Landlord said they'd remove the skunks but haven't, said they'd call the plumbers back Mr. Rooter gave them a 3 year warranty. Mr. Rooter came over and said that since it's a different problem than the original they'll need landlords authorization.

Land lord came and put a light under the house to scare away the skunks but turning it on shorts out all power.

So enough venting.. how long does it take for electrical heating tape to thaw pipes when the weather is between 10-30 degrees fahrenheit? Anything I can do besides crawling under the house and risk being sprayed to quicken the process?

I know I should just move but the rent is great, its close to work, spacious, and my finances don't allow me to move.

and I know that electrical heating tape isn't meant to thaw pipes, but to keep them from freezing but it seems to be my only option.

The landlord needs to have a plumber out to thaw the piping. Using electrical heat tape to thaw pipes is a uphill battle and almost impossible. I have seen pipes freeze with electrical heat tape on them. The tape did not get installed properly and the pipe wasn't insulate after heat tape installation. who knows, with all the other issues the heat tape might be bad.

I would hold back ALL of the rent until ALL of the problems are resolved. You're entitled to working water (hot and cold) and working drains. Your LL has no incentive to correctly fix these problems, once and for all, until s/he has financial motive to do so. The heat tape, skunks, etc are not YOUR problem.

Back