how do you remove a sink tail piece?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahns

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a newbie question, I have never done any plumbing before and have no idea what I am doing. I'm trying to replace a vanity counter in the kids bathroom with a counter with built in sinks. The plumbing from the old sinks doesn't line up with the new sinks, so I'll most likely have to remove it all and start from scratch. Even the counter top we purchased isn't a real good fit as our vanity is against a side wall as well as the back wall and our new counter top is designed to overhang all edges. At this point, I'm just trying to remove the sink tail piece in both sinks from the existing plumbing. I have remove the counter top and sink, but the tailpiece doesn't slip out after loosening the slip nut. Every other joint appears to be glued, so even if I re-install the old counter top, i'll likely need to replace some pipes just to get the tail piece out to replace the sink flange. Is there an easy way to remove the tail piece? If it involves cutting the pvc, where is the best place to cut it?

IMG_1534 (Small).JPG

IMG_1535 (Small).JPG

Cut just behind the 90 degree fitting that turns down to the Ptrap. When you replace the Ptrap, use one of these:http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-5036...r-10521000-p?gclid=CMaEm8315bsCFSho7Aod4QoAcg

Make sure it comes with or you purchase separately the threaded adaptor, many traps sold at home improvement stores don't come with that.

This type of trap will allow you to make up for differences in how far from the wall the drain is, and as much as 3" difference from side to side. Plus, the whole assembly can be removed should you ever need to have the drain line snaked out.

Back