How do I cap this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yookeroo

Reaction score
Had a big leak. Found a threaded uncapped pipe in the backyard, gushing water. This was stewed onto the pipe:4C61A604-050A-4960-B460-27AABB59DBDB.jpeg
This was in the hole next to it.
968301EE-9F61-404D-855F-996959CA651C.jpeg

A 1” PVC cap was too small. A 1-1/4” was too big. What can I do to cap it? Thanks.

Can I not “couple” a length of pipe to that end and cap that? What parts would I need?

Can I not “couple” a length of pipe to that end and cap that? What parts would I need?
Maybe someone else can help. It’s too much trouble for me to figure out that fitting when pipe is 6” to a foot away that would be easier to identify and make a better repair.

Good luck 👍

That's not GHT (Garden Hose Thread), is it? My first thought was that's part of an irrigation system...

That just looks like a really weird thread, try to screw in a garden hose into it.

Looks like a dresser coupling or some type crappy repair coupling.

Dig further back to expose all of it.

I really appreciated the help. Seemed like an easy fix, screw on a cap. But it’s turning out more complicated than I expected.

Looks like polybutylene pipe. Remove the rest of that dresser coupling, you can just cut the pipe with some plastic tubing snips.

Googling, I’m seeing that polybutylene pipe is flexible. This pipe is rigid, no bend.

The coupling was connected to something and I cant find what it was. Maybe washed away. But it’s not possible to attach a small length of pipe coming out of it and cap that?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

EVERYONE is right, CUT OFF THE PIECE OF THE PIPE, beyond the coupler, take it to a GOOD plumbing store, they will sell you what you need......

Don't be afraid of a shovel, dig down another foot, clear a foot in all sides of the coupler, and expose that blue pipe to the point where you can cut off 4-6 inches of it to take to a plumbing supply store or a good hardware store or an irrigation expert and figure out what it is. We can't tell from the pictures of a dirty blue pipe just what it is. All of the irrigation systems I've ever seen have black poly pipe, so you either have some 'local standard' or some kind of one-off bespoke irrigation system from some guy who had a bunch of stuff in stock and sold the previous owner on how good it would be.

Back