How can I replace this valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbing_matt

Reaction score
I have this valve, which doesn't leak unless I try to close it. I would like to replace it.

1641007119715.png

So, I asked the guy at the local hardware store and he told me that I would need an adapter to go from Male Pipe to compression and he gave me these two things. BOTH are labeled 1/2" compression, but there must have been a mix up at the factory because the 1/2 compression steel valve is clearly bigger than the 1/2 inch compression brass adapter. Is there an easier way to do this? Which one is actually the 1/2 inch compression fitting??

1641007298819.png

I may be wrong but it looks to me like your existing valve is 1/2 male npt on the bottom and 3/8 compression on top. You should be able to remove the old one and get an exact replacement with no adapters needed. Your existing valve has a packing nut, you could maybe tighten it a little and stop the leak. If that doesn't stop it I have removed the nut and wrapped some Teflon tape around the stem to help the packing.

A much cleaner fix would be to use a 3/8 in. FIP Inlet x 3/8 in. Compression Outlet 1/4-Turn Straight Valve and a close 3/8" brass nipple between the valve and the inlet pipe.

1641053168371.png

You don’t need the nut I have circled or the brass ferrule inside it.

Just screw the valve into the old adapter already on your pipe.

The adapter already on your pipe must be held tightly and the valve turned to remove. Don’t try to turn the adapter on the pipe that has the wrench flats.
82CD9F2A-994C-4562-9AFC-C3C191FFE25D.jpeg

You don’t need the brass watts adapter at all.

Latest posts

Back