house water pressure reducing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpdad

Reaction score
Hello. My house water pipes bang, and I thought restricting the flow with ball valve might solve it.
But does restricting the flow reduce the pressure? That is, does the bang come from flow of water getting shut off or from the pressure of the water? Do they mean the same thing?lol.
I guess that pressure reducer would work better, but I think simple ball valve, if it works, would be maintenance free.
The water heater already has a reducer and outlet gauge reads about 60 psi. If I install a reducer that is factory set at 50 psi, would 50 psi water pass 60 psi valve? If whole house water pressure is reduced, should I remove the reducer for the water heater?
Thank you.

throttleing a valve will not reduce pressure... Well technically since you are making a venturi it will have a pressure reduction effect directlly after the valve ( velocity increases pressure decreases ) bun not throughout the whole system. this would effect flow and volume.

it its the potablle water pipes that are banging then install water hammer arrestors.

if its reduced pressure youre after then check to see that your PRV is in working order and then turn the screw counter clockwise to achieve this.

A ball valve will not do the job you want... restricting the flow will not have the desired effect.

Thank you very much. I can't use those hammer dampers because of the way the shut off valves are located under the vanity. I will use the PRV.
Please answer couple more questions? Should I use the older (I think) PRV that has clean out plug on the bottom or the newer kinds that has the integrated screen in the body? Most likely, PRV will have to be installed in vertical position. And where would you get the replacement screens? I replaced B&G once before, and neither the supplier nor the B&G itself had just the replacement screens to sell.

Latest posts

Back