House propane line to BBQ grill connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deluko

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently moved into a house with a large propane tank out back (filled by the propane utility provider).

The line coming from the propane tank to the deck (existing owner had a grill connected there) has a 3/8" male flare. I bought a 6ft propane line that has 3/8" flare female (that fits perfectly, passed soapy water test perfectly)... on the other end, it has a 3/8" male flare... but the grill has a 3/8" female NPT connection.

When I connected the 3/8" male flare to the 3/8" female NPT line on the grill, it failed the soapy water test, and from my understanding, thread tape should be avoided for gas lines.

I tried finding small adapters, but couldn't seem to find a 3/8" female flare to 3/8" male NPT. Is there such a connector? Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can also add photos if it helps.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, so here's the line (with shutoff valve) coming from the house. The output of the shutoff valve is a 3/8" male flare. The 3/8" female flare on the metal line I purchased fits perfectly (good connection, passes soapy water test):
Photo Jun 17 2023, 08 30 24.jpg

On the grill side, I'm trying to connect the 3/8" male flare from the end of that metal line to the 3/8" female NPT from the grill itself:

Photo Jun 17 2023, 08 31 14.jpg

Hmm... OK. well is there any reason then that when fully seated, it still leaks gas? I tightened this connection all the way with a wrench, and it still failed the soapy water test (pretty badly, there was a big ring of bubbles all the way around the connection)...

It also just appears to be a different connection because the male only makes it about 1/2 through the threads before being fully seated... in other words, the female connector seems "shallower" than the male...

I guess the final question is, would there be something I could do to make the connection seal more tightly? Teflon tape? The other option I considered was a pair of adapters, specifically:

3/8" flare brass coupling fitting: - to accept the male flare from the house line / hose

3/8" flare x 3/8" MIP brass adapter fitting - male flare into the ^^ brass coupling, then the 3/8" MIP male into the grill 3/8" NPT?

Seems so complicated for a grill line :D

Last edited:
Show me the fitting that the grill nut screwed onto originally, before you bought your stainless hose.

Sounds like they’re not compatible.

Give me the model number of your hose.

Here's the hose I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKYYDSW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detailsThe previous owner of the grill had a line screwed directly into the grill hose, and it was not seated in the mount / housing attached to the grill.
(here's a picture of the mount from a video, of the same grill / mount) ... it seems like it actually has a *male* flare connector that sits in the grill mount:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 20.22.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 20.22.50.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
On your stainless braid hose……the end you’re attempting to connect to the grill, Is that a one piece fitting or does the threaded portion turn independently of the flare ?

The end of your stainless hose appears to be an inverted flare nut……that will not work with your grill.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your photo, but does the end of your SS hose look like this?

1687016823616.png

This is an inverted flare, but they are usually used on brake lines.

I assume you don't have the fitting in your screen shot of the video? If you do, all you need is this.

1687017308675.png

It is interesting that the hose you purchased shows that the male end is the one that connects to the existing gas line. I realize your existing valve has a male connection, but if you used the female flare x female flare at that connection, then the female end of you hose would connect to the fitting shown in your video screen shot. Perhaps that fitting is a fitting only available from the grill manufacturer?

Here's the hose I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKYYDSW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detailsThe previous owner of the grill had a line screwed directly into the grill hose, and it was not seated in the mount / housing attached to the grill.
(here's a picture of the mount from a video, of the same grill / mount) ... it seems like it actually has a *male* flare connector that sits in the grill mount:
Undoubtedly the threads are not the same.

You need to identify what connection your grill has. I can’t help you do that based off the pictures. It does appear to be a flare connection but I have no idea what size.

Last edited:
Some of The Amazon reviews say the male end of the hose has the wrong threads on it, doesn’t match the description.

My advice is to purchase a quality hose.

So, I do believe the grill normally has one of the "double male" connectors (with flare), so flipping the hose (amazon) around makes a lot of sense.

I would suspect the amazon hose as well, but it fits so perfectly on the male flare coming out of the house that I'm hesitant to blame it (when the grill also seems to be missing a "standard" piece.

The line coming from the grill is not inverted flare – it does seem to have a bit of a flare inside (female, to accept a male flare) but seems like a different flare.

For example, the Amazon hose Male piece fits perfectly into itself (looped), and also onto the line from the house.

I *believe* the grill connection is a standard female 3/8" NPT fitting (I believe the previous owner had a standard NPT hose hooked up to it.

Hence, I really need to get a connector that will have a 3/8" female flare (for accepting the amazon hose) and a 3/8" male NPT on the other side, but no such connector seems to exist. Hence, the two connectors I shared above. I am going to pick those up and see if they fit snugly... $15 is a bit annoying for such a connection but obviously with gas I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your help!

As there is a brass nut on the grill's SS hose, that is NOT an NPT fitting. NPT fittings seal in their threads which are tapered, hence the use of teflon tape or paste. As that brass nut spins on the SS hose, the space between the brass and SS would leak, and rather badly even if you could find threads that matched. You need a fitting that seals against the SS flared section of the grill's line.

Again. that fitting may be a special fitting from the grill manufacturer.

Where does the other end of the grill's SS hose connect and what does it look like?

I don’t know if this is your issue or not, but there are two common flare angles. JIC which is 37 degrees and SAE which is 45 degrees. They don’t mate/seal when mixed, and if the parts you have were not properly labeled this could be an issue.

Similarly on quick disconnect fittings, there are two readily available kinds, also not compatible. Not exactly sure of their names, but I’ve found both kinds in bins at hardware stores, and have accidentally bought the wrong ones in the past!

My outdoor gas grill uses brass quick disconnects, double shutoff, with a gas rated brass ball valve before. There’s a second brass ball valve inside at the crawl space.

I don’t know if this is your issue or not, but there are two common flare angles. JIC which is 37 degrees and SAE which is 45 degrees. They don’t mate/seal when mixed, and if the parts you have were not properly labeled this could be an issue.

Similarly on quick disconnect fittings, there are two readily available kinds, also not compatible. Not exactly sure of their names, but I’ve found both kinds in bins at hardware stores, and have accidentally bought the wrong ones in the past!

My outdoor gas grill uses brass quick disconnects, double shutoff, with a gas rated brass ball valve before. There’s a second brass ball valve inside at the crawl space.

I am going to check inside the grill to see the other end of the hose.... I would be really surprised if Weber used something so unusual, but your description of JIC / SAE may be the culprit ... it *does* look flared inside (the female end, from the grill) but it definitely doesn't look the same as the female flare from the hose I bought.

I wish I could just ask Weber... I've checked all the manuals and searched Weber's website, and there is *no* mention of the gas line or the mounting bracket (which seems to be missing a connector on mine).

It’s that Amazon hose……..

That male end looked funny to me……and that’s the end that doesn’t fit. It doesn’t look like a typical 45 degree flare and threads.

Go to a hardware store and buy a few flare fittings and try to screw them into the grill outlet. Take that Amazon hose with you.

We all can guess at it forever……

Also, try to screw the new Amazon hose onto itself, Try to screw the female nut over the male end……they should fit each other if the hose is labeled correctly

Last edited:
It’s that Amazon hose……..

That male end looked funny to me……and that’s the end that doesn’t fit. It doesn’t look like a typical 45 degree flare and threads.

Go to a hardware store and buy a few flare fittings and try to screw them into the grill outlet. Take that Amazon hose with you.

We all can guess at it forever……

Also, try to screw the new Amazon hose onto itself, Try to screw the female nut over the male end……they should fit each other if the hose is labeled correctly
deluko said yesterday at 2:14 PM, "For example, the Amazon hose Male piece fits perfectly into itself (looped), and also onto the line from the house."

https://www.thebbqdepot.com/weber-bulkhead-assy-66214/
Call these people with your model number of grill and they’ll sell you the bulkhead adapter that fits.

All of the bulkhead gas adapters that I’ve seen from Weber have different fittings on the each side of the adapter.

That’s all I can do.

Good luck ✌️

Last edited:
You mentioned that the previous homeowner had connected the LP line from your large tank to this grill. Was there a pressure regulator in that line before the bulkhead fitting? Does the other end of the grill's SS hose connect to a regulator?

I would think you need a regulator between your 500-to-1,000-gallon LP tank and this grill.

You mentioned that the previous homeowner had connected the LP line from your large tank to this grill. Was there a pressure regulator in that line before the bulkhead fitting? Does the other end of the grill's SS hose connect to a regulator?

I would think you need a regulator between your 500-to-1,000-gallon LP tank and this grill.
It seems like there's a regulator at the big propane tank – said the outcoming 10.2-13" WC, which I believe is safe range for the grill

https://www.thebbqdepot.com/weber-bulkhead-assy-66214/
Call these people with your model number of grill and they’ll sell you the bulkhead adapter that fits.

All of the bulkhead gas adapters that I’ve seen from Weber have different fittings on the each side of the adapter.

That’s all I can do.

Good luck ✌️
This is SUPER helpful. This is exactly what I was looking for, since I know it comes with the original grill, and serves as a mount also. I couldn't find this for the life of me. This is perfect! thank you.

Latest posts

Back