Hot Water Tank Plastic Fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastles

Reaction score
My hot water tank needs to be replaced but has plastic fittings I’m not familiar with. Will these pipes just unscrew from the tank, or was the pipe swaged onto the tank fitting?68E887E7-9916-465B-9DA7-5338378D2F04.jpeg

This is an illegal way to pipe a water heater.

You can take a wrench and unscrew it where i have it circled.

The are metal flex connections that you can use in place of this pipe. The fittings have been mechanically expanded and settled onto the fittings.

Screenshot_20210703-165204_Chrome.jpg

That's pex tubing I think it's unipor requires a
Special battery operated gun but I think you could cut it a few inches after the 90 coming out of the tank and unwind it from there,your still stuck using pex, to reconnect

That's pex tubing I think it's unipor requires a
Special battery operated gun but I think you could cut it a few inches after the 90 coming out of the tank and unwind it from there,your still stuck using pex, to reconnect
They do make hand expanders. Which are a pain to use, but work. About $150-$200 with the dies

If I cut it, can I use a crimp type fastener, or do I have to use the expander tool?

You can, but you have to use the crimp type fittings. Those are smaller and restrict the flow quite a bit. We don't use this type of system. Others do.

Also you may not get a crimp tool into that space. The excellent thing about the expansion system is, you can expand the pipe and then connect it in an extremely tight quarters.

You going to have to think it through a little.

This is an illegal way to pipe a water heater.

You can take a wrench and unscrew it where i have it circled.

The are metal flex connections that you can use in place of this pipe. The fittings have been mechanically expanded and settled onto the fittings.

View attachment 30317
WHY IS IT ILLEGAL?

The only thing that makes that illegal out here is no shutoff valve if that is indeed the cold side.

This is the reason to know and practice the code. If your compliant then there's not much to worry about. Trying to get away with junk plumbing and complaining about the inspector is just a losing battle.

I also find it very important to be 100% and keep up to date with all 12 municipalities requirements in my area.

Or make it clear to the chief inspector that you’ll get an engineers stamp and private inspection, side stepping his entire office. 🤓

Then they just take the money and STFU.

Where’s Halifax ?

The state will adopt a code here but the municipalities will add and delete.

And then you have the inspectors who attempt to make their own code. Those inspectors get dealt with swiftly.

Back