Hot Water Side of Waterheater and PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

credo

Reaction score
I've never used PVC on a water heater until yesterday. I used PVC and it went really well except the hot water connection leaks at the threads when the heater gets up to temp.

I hate to over-tighten the PVC connector. Should I be using pipe dope and or teflon tape? The nut/coupling has a rubber gasket inside of it.

Thanks in advance.

Is the leak at the dielectric nipple coming off the water heater?
You never really wanna use a plastic female adapter coming off the nipple because they can crack.
Cpvc is great because they make a female adapter with brass female threads on one side, and glue fitting on the other.
Up here in Ma. You have to come off the top of the water heater 12" or 18" with copper, than you can run pex or plastic.
Matt

Yes, the leak is at the dielectric nipple. I'll look for a Cpvc and consider going with all copper.

They've got the 1/2" copper line 6" from the linoleum floor. Going to be tough for me to get a coupling on that line. Any suggestions on that line?

I'd have to see it. See if you can upload a photo. Can't really visualize what you have there.
Matt

TDG, thanks for the advice. I found the metal/plastic 3/4" to 1/2" fitting and used Cpvc, with Cpvc glue. Should be good. I'm waiting 12-24 hours for the glue to cure.

Thanks for the help. Made the job easy. Happy New Year, my friend.

Good deal. Those fittings are a little more $ but I have much more faith in the metal fem/male connection.
Very welcome.. Happy new year!

Back