Hot Water Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrench

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The way my house was designed, was a total DIY. I have two hot water heaters that work in tandem on opposite ends of the house. So both water heaters are sending water to the same shower. I read about the solution is a pump that will, on a timer, put the water in the pipes back into the water heater. Since I have two water heaters though, would both need it? Do these things actually work well?

Sounds like you are referring to a Grundfos recirculation pump? I have one and love it. Now, instead of taking 4-5 minutes to warm up a shower, the hot water is almost instant. It was a simple install, and costs about $250 from Home Depot. The downside is my cold water from the faucet is luke warm for about 10 seconds before you get cold water.

You need to look at the piping and see if you can figure out how to install a pump such that it will fill most of the hot water lines with hot water. If you install a dedicated hot water return line instead of using a Thermal By-Pass Valve, it will resolve the issue that havasu has with lukewarm water in the cold-water line.

But yes, they work and it is so "cool" to have almost instant "hot" water. LOL.

I've got mine on a timed switch. I turn it on when I'm about to take a shower or my wife is about to do the dishes and it runs for 2 minutes filling the hot water lines with hot water. You need to insulate the water lines of course. Our washing machine is close to the water heater, so I don't need to worry about using it for washing clothes. But we rarely use hot water for washing clothes anyway.

Back