Hot water outlet leaking.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffy

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Richmond gas water heater (made by Rheem). There was a bunch of corrosion around the hot water outlet. I cleaned it out with a screwdriver. And doing so, the plastic flange was damaged. Now it leaks but the dielectric fitting looks good. Is that plastic flange some kind of seal?

I have a 2014 Richmond gas water heater (made by Rheem). There was a bunch of corrosion around the hot water outlet. I cleaned it out with a screwdriver. And doing so, the plastic flange was damaged. Now it leaks but the dielectric fitting looks good. Is that plastic flange some kind of seal?
No, that plastic is just a cover for the outer shell of the water heater. In all likelihood, your dielectric fitting is actually leaking at the threads. And when you take it apart, the inside of that fitting will be FULL of rust. And when you see it, you will wonder how any water at all could have been flowing through it.

Now when you replace the water heater which will be in the very near future, remove the nipples that come with the new water heater and replace them with a 6" stainless steel or brass nipple WITHOUT installing a dielectric fitting. Check first, however, as apparently some manufactures are installing an integral dip tube with the cold-water inlet nipple. If that is the case, maybe consider a different water heater manufacturer.

Back