Hot water out fast

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk1nner

Reaction score
I have an issue with my hot water running out very quickly most times. I have a natural gas 45 gallon GE hwh. The issue is that if the shower is used we only get about 10 minutes and then we run out of hot water. But if the shower is used (and therefore tank emptied) and about a half hour later is used again we have plenty of very hot water. The thermostat is turned all the way up on the hwh. My thought was the dip tube. I replaced that (old tube was actually still good) but it didn't help. We do have a "water efficient" showed head. Does anyone have any ideas on what next to check? Thank you for any and all advice.

I have looked aroud but am unable to find the information on how to test that on a gas hwh. Any good resources you could recommend for me to learn how to? Thank you.

The tank is about 7-8. If I remember correctly it did this from the time I put it in new (I want to say this is the reason I changed the hwh after I moved in). I think k I attributed it to a non-effecent shower head.
I'm on city water.
What I don't get is that if the tank is emptied (via shower or whatever) and some one gets a shower a half hour or so later they have more (very) hot water than they can use.

Sounds like your gas control valve is faulty. It is what senses your water temp. replace that to fix issue. You will need to order through tech support via type of water heater. If sometimes is scalding and other times luke warm thats for sure your issue

The water is always hot enough, it's just that it runs out fast unless the hwh has been refilled and heated very recently.

Still the gas control valve is what maintains the water temp in tank for example: if the wh is set at 125 it make sure it stays there. If you are having issues with water temp staying on on a gas water heater it's the control box. It's like a thermostat on an electric wh. If your water heater is 7 years ild and u don't want to replace that is your option

Back