Hot Water Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptru

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a problem with hot water, most water that is coming out of the facets kitchen sink are warmish at best (main floor). Bigger problem is the upstairs shower the water temp even though turned all the way to the hottest is below luke warm, its cold really. Expect when I flush the toilet, the water becomes hot, almost scalding hot... so in order for me to shower in hot water I need to keep flushing the toilet... not fun.

I then called the hot water tank technician (tank is a rental) he had a look and concluded the tank was fine. He said it probably is a plumbing issue.

I then proceeded to change the cartridge in the shower thinking that maybe was the culprit. however the issue persisted.

What could this be?

Hot Water Tank is information below

GSW Model # 6G5065LNV-02
Gas - natural. Input BUT/h 62000
Altitude(h) 0-2000 Altitude(m) 0-609
120V 60Hz 5A
Capacity 189 Litre Recovery/Recuperation 49.6 USg/h @100F, 188 L/h@55C

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

That is a tempering valve in first picture?
Could be the problem..

You rent the water heater??
You have a lot of piping there that it is hard to tell what you have. Is the pump for a hot recirc line or do you have a solar system connected to the heater?

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Ok I am thinking of replacing the valve over the weekend, but as you see I would have to remove the dryer just to reach it.

Yes the water tank is rented.

I am not a plumber by any means not really sure what a relic or solar system is?

I believe the system is called a combination system, the hot water tank also heats the home.

If the technician said like this then it surely be the plumbing issue.

I am curious, what is the monthly rental on the unit?

for how long? is it a rent to own ?

sorry being nosey, never heard of this before

The same thing is offered here through the big oil companies. When I bought my place I had to assume the rental agreement of a 40gallon oil fired tank. My contract was $21 a month, and the lease never expires. $360 to break the contract and they come remove it. However, if there's ever an issue with the tank, they come fix or replace for no extra charge, so some people are happy to do it, but not me. I got rid of it and put a 50 gallon Rheem Marathon electric tank in its place.

sounds like the rent to own co we have here.

they will rent you anything for a house, furniture, tv, computer, with finance fees you wind up paying 4 x the amount it is worth

for o down and low weekly payments

to the op

i would not expect a knowledgeable technician to work for the renting co.
he may be telling you its your plumbing, cause he does not want to fool with your heater

code here, states it must be accessible to maintain and to remove

yours is neither

Last edited:
I am curious, what is the monthly rental on the unit?

for how long? is it a rent to own ?

sorry being nosey, never heard of this before

its not rent to own (im in canada) its 20 dollars a month, if it breaks they replace it free, but if you dont have any issues your paying for nothing really.

sounds like the rent to own co we have here.

they will rent you anything for a house, furniture, tv, computer, with finance fees you wind up paying 4 x the amount it is worth

for o down and low weekly payments

to the op

i would not expect a knowledgeable technician to work for the renting co.
he may be telling you its your plumbing, cause he does not want to fool with your heater

code here, states it must be accessible to maintain and to remove

yours is neither

The way they built this place especially were the tank is located is very tight etc, although if that is the case they would tell me and I would remove the dyer/washer. The accessible to maintain and remove must be told to me he cant say no im not fixing it without reason. He did actually work on it by the way changed a piece.

Anyways my water issue remains, I may try to change the valve as mentioned above.

As for your water issue, it's your mixing valve causing issues. (tempering valve). When you replace it, let us know how it works out.

How would you diagnose the valve exactly?

Well, that is hard to say. Actually the whole system (and there are many types/designs) has to be analyzed (actual WH temp and volume) to be sure everything is working properly.

Start Here- http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Hot_Water_Temperature.php

Personally, I would use temp gauges (or a temp gun) to monitor WH output temp and the tempered output temp. If the tempering valve fails and delivers 130 to 140 degree water to the fixtures, you will have a serious problem.

ADDENDUM (Fr)- -How to Find and Fix Plumbing Crossover - Brief Description-

Last edited:
you need to know the temp of the hot water entering the valve and the temp of the mixed water leaving the valve to assess it is working properly
you also need to know what temp it is set on

this can be done with a simple thermometer. place it on the pipe, under the insulation to get a reading

it is not as accurate as placit in the stream. but will give you a rough idea in a temp change or not

what you need, is a gauge port on all 3 pipes about a foot away from the mixing valve

half.in.thumb.jpg

thermometer slips inside thru a gasket to put the gauge in the stream

i have no idea why the idiot who installed it did not do a complete job.

how did he [properly] adjust the water with out knowing the temp ?

i guess he just reached in his ..............pulled out a plumb

FYI it was the mixing valve, after it was replaced set the temp and boom hot water is back to norm

Back